A 71 with non matching engine that needs fairly extensive rust repair, floor pans, rear deck lid very, probable doglegs, battery tray.  If you don't mind buying a project and he is willing to knock a few thousand off then it could be a good deal. If you do the work yourself you could get away with putting another $12-15,000 to bring it up to be  a very nice reliable driver. The non matching engine is really going to bite you when you try and sell it. Just my opinion, I love buying Z's like this one, the amount repair is do-able, this car would also be a good candidate for an engine swap.

Edited by grannyknot

9 hours ago, Robert9790 said:

As much as i would love to see every Z that i have interest in, it seems unrealistic in my personal scenario as most of the cars appear to be out of the area. 

I've taken interest in: https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/56605129 and would love your opinions.

Looks fairly good shape to start. It is priced close to its value (as of recent sales) and I would say it should go for around $7500- $8500.  A full restoration will cost upwards of $30,000 but a refresh with some basic repairs etc will be like Granny says, a little closer to $12-15,000 (for a non-rotisserie restoration). You could do worse....

Midwest salt belt car, sat for years, quite a bit of visible corrosion, Poor fit on hood - see trailing edge seam at cowl, needs new bumpers, needs tires, not sure why they refer to the exterior color as "Avacado", the car has been stored for 35 years which means the engine swap and repaint happened sort of early in its life.  Appears to have been "rode hard and put away wet" as they say with neglected horses.

I think I'd keep looking.

Dennis 

Edited by psdenno
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, psdenno said:

Midwest salt belt car, sat for years, quite a bit of visible corrosion, Poor fit on hood - see trailing edge seam at cowl, needs new bumpers, needs tires, not sure why they refer to the exterior color as "Avacado", the car has been stored for 35 years which means the engine swap and repaint happened sort of early in its life.  Appears to have been 
"rode hard and put away wet" as they say with neglected horses.

I think I'd keep looking.

Dennis 

Thank you very much, going to keep on hunting then. Again, appreciate all your help, awesome Z community.

Getting closer.  Check the sooty exhaust residue on the left side of the rear bumper.  Running rich?  Burning oil?

Dennis

@Robert9790 Portland, Or. Craig's List "1976 Datsun 280z - $7500". Post id 6973601510. Interesting Z. It's an injected automatic but if the body is good it's reasonably priced. I hope the sidewall ventiports (Buick's name for them as I recall) and other decorations on the fenders are just glued on. The wheels are A.R. Vectors.

Now folks, show some respect for what may be a very valuable car.

According to the owner, you are looking at the world's only Front Wheel Drive Z.

Ought to be worth a fortune.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, ensys said:

Now folks, show some respect for what may be a very valuable car.

According to the owner, you are looking at the world's only Front Wheel Drive Z.

Ought to be worth a fortune.

lol! 

B.A.T car has held pretty steady, i think if i get it for under 10k i can have a good foundation to start on. Might use some spare cash to get a professional paint job.

Car in reference: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-datsun-260z-32/

4 minutes ago, Robert9790 said:

B.A.T car has held pretty steady, i think if i get it for under 10k i can have a good foundation to start on. Might use some spare cash to get a professional paint job.

Good luck if that's the one you want.  Auctions are interesting as bidders get wound up in the process.

So, if you get it for $10,000, add a pro paint job for $5,000, add transporting the car from PA $1,500, add 5% buyers fee on $10K for $500.  Plus the unknowns.  Too much fun!

Dennis

From what I've seen the real bidding will be in the last half hour / 15 minutes of the auction. I'd hold off to the end before you pull the trigger on bidding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1