IGNORED

Distributor Conversion

Mike

Hi all,

There has been some recent discussion about HEI modules, distributors, and other related components lately...  I decided to take a quick trip down to the garage and took some photos of my setup.  I didn't do this conversion myself, so, I don't know much about it.  However, from what I do know this is a 280z distributor conversion.  My favorite part of this conversion is a huge reduction of clutter in the engine bay.  It's also very simple and eliminates the problems associated with points under the cap.  I have a 1971 Z, but, this is a newer generation distributor.

If anyone is interested in further details, I can give Steve a call at Ztherapy to get the specs.  Here are some photos.

This is the internal rotor, notice that I no longer have points!

IMG_0081.jpeg

Side of the distributor, showing the electronics mounted on the outside.

IMG_0079.jpeg

IMG_0080.jpeg

And my favorite part!  Clean and tidy!!!!

IMG_0078.jpeg

• Like 2

Hey Mike, that is a ZX distributor, probably 79-about 81, with the E12-80 module.  It's a nice and effective way to get high energy ignition, if you can find a distributor.  They're getting harder to find since they are are all remans now.

The ZX distributors weak point is the bushing for the center shaft.  It wears then the teeth of the rotor and starter contact and things break.  Check the play and you might be able to replace it before it goes.

Those E12-80 matchboxes are available also available in bosch, lucas and other European manufacturers. A bit like the efi system which is esentually a copy of the bosch jetronic. I have nos spare Lucas and a boch units still in their boxes.

20190901_205037_001.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EuroDat said:

Those E12-80 matchboxes are available also available in bosch, lucas and other European manufacturers. A bit like the efi system which is esentually a copy of the bosch jetronic. I have nos spare Lucas and a boch units still in their boxes.

20190901_205037_001.jpg

What is the appropriate Bosch number?