IGNORED

Failed CO emissions - all controls removed - where to start?

thetwood

My son is really looking forward to getting the injectors back so we can put things back together and keep working. I've been trying to keep from changing too many things at once. Every time I do that I don't know which change caused which effect.

• Like 1

Seems like you still have a problem.  You tried a new gauge and still got low pressure.  But the engine is running rich with 190cc injectors.  Something is causing the injectors to stay open too long,  Could be the AFM, the ECU, one of the temperature sensors, who knows.  At least you know which parts are good though, so you can focus on the the other possibilities.

4 minutes ago, thetwood said:

Should be getting injectors back this weekend. In prepping, I realized the EFI hose currently in the car is 3/8" instead of 8mm or 5/16". I can get some 5/16" and change it over. Would having too large of a fuel hose cause drop in pressure?

nope.  Main Issue is the temp sensor.

7 hours ago, thetwood said:

Would having too large of a fuel hose cause drop in pressure?

No, the FPR controls fuel pressure.  It is a spring-loaded valve that only opens when set pressure is reached, when the spring force is overcome.  A weak fuel pump could result in low fuel pressure but that would not cause the problem that you are having.

You might as well get the fuel pressure correct though while you try to figure out why the injectors are getting a signal to stay open like you're at full throttle.  It might just be your throttle valve switch.  But if it is it will show up when you do the tests in the FSM or the Guidebook.  The TVS and the coolant temperature sensor can affect fuel, as can the AFM.  And the CSV.

You just have to sit down with your meter and start testing.  You'll be done much quicker than you think and something will probably show up.

• Like 1

I'm getting things put back together now. Injectors with new gaskets are in. Put the new fuel regulator in. Took out the in-line fuel filter before the fuel pump so it's unobstructed (it had some debris but not a lot and seemed okay, but one less thing that could cause low pressure). New gasket and valve cover replaced.

Before trying to start up, I was going to disconnect the starter and see what the fuel pressure looks like just with the fuel pump going. My question is, which wire should I disconnect from the starter? I could just disconnect all of them, but thought I'd ask for advice.

IMG_3132[1].JPG

1 minute ago, Captain Obvious said:

Uhhhhh... That's not the starter.

The starter is the other big electric thing behind you below the battery.

Ha. Sorry. Wrong picture. I should have just read a book instead of working on the car tonight. Too long of day...

IMG_3133[1].JPG

Thank you @Captain Obvious for the help. The good news is that the fuel pressure seems much better. Didn't hook up the good gauge, but the inline one is showing around 34 instead of the 14 it was before. 

Other good news is that the car starts up, so I've got that going for me. It's not running smooth now though. Maybe I didn't install the fuel injectors .all correctly? They seemed to go in fairly easily.

Not the greatest video, but maybe you can hear/see something that helps. I'm shot for the day and will take a look with fresh eyes tomorrow... Can get a better video tomorrow as well.