IGNORED

Spare Tire Well

moozieman

I have a 1977 Datsun 280z and I was surprised to see that my spare tire well is quite shallow. The tire sticks out past the bottom of the trunk bed and ios covered by a board. Oof hopefully that makes sense. What exactly is that? Cuz I know most cars have a deep wheel well that holds a full size tire.

Just now, moozieman said:

I have a 1977 Datsun 280z and I was surprised to see that my spare tire well is quite shallow. The tire sticks out past the bottom of the trunk bed and ios covered by a board. Oof hopefully that makes sense. What exactly is that? Cuz I know most cars have a deep wheel well that holds a full size tire.

I can attach photos later.

41 minutes ago, moozieman said:

What exactly is that?

What is that? That's the way they designed it.

The story I heard (read it on the internet) is that they increased the fuel capacity in 77 and they stole the extra volume from the spare tire well. And since the spare well is shallower, they had to use that false wooden floor.

If you compare the floor sheet metal to earlier years, you'll also see the 77-78's have extra metal reinforcing "frame" members on the top side of the rear metal deck that didn't exist in earlier years.

19 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

What is that? That's the way they designed it.

The story I heard (read it on the internet) is that they increased the fuel capacity in 77 and they stole the extra volume from the spare tire well. And since the spare well is shallower, they had to use that false wooden floor.

If you compare the floor sheet metal to earlier years, you'll also see the 77-78's have extra metal reinforcing "frame" members on the top side of the rear metal deck that didn't exist in earlier years.

Ohhh makes sense. I was just curious. Thanks!

The "fuel capacity" thing is correct (a real surprise for web info). The parts manual clearly shows the difference in the spare tire indentation in the top of the two tanks.

I'm not sure about the "extra reinforcing" part, but the change prompted a vertical rise behind the seats and some bolt-on vertical risers (at the front of the spare well and a couple-four bent metal posts that also anchor the luggage straps) to support the new false floor.

Oh yeah, and the change occasioned the loss of 5 or 6 cu. ft. of usable storage in the back. I've been trolling around for a "skinny" emergency spare that would allow me to reclaim much of the lost volume above the carpet, not to mention the use of the now-buried cubbies behind the front bulkhead.

Speaking of which; anyone know a source of the original metal cubby lids? The aftermarket offerings generally suck.

CO, I didn’t know you can covert the bins on a 77. And put doors there. I’d like to do this mod. I have the slopped rear deck which I don’t really like. I’d prefer the flat rear deck. I have a spare that is inflatable. Bought parts from a guy that had leftover from his 78 rebuild and he threw in that spare. Not sure if it’s compatible with mine. Is there a thread on this conversion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the Captain's thread on his donut tire conversion.   The pics are mia unfortunately.

Once done, the floor can be lowered & access to the storage bins is just a matter of cutting the false floor and the finish work to make it look nice.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:14 AM, Av8ferg said:

CO, I didn’t know you can covert the bins on a 77. And put doors there.  Is there a thread on this conversion?

I don't know if I ever documented my storage bin mod. The basic story is that the bins are there on your car but there's no lids and there are no threaded inserts spot welded into place on the mounting holes. The holes are there, but no threads.

I took some steel plate, cut small rectangles, and drilled and tapped holes:
P1090368.JPG

Some double back sticky tape to hold them in place until the screws are installed:
P1090369.JPG

And I stuck them to the underside of the sheet metal where the cargo bin lids attach. This is without the threaded plates:
P1090370.JPG

And this is with the threads in place. Double back sticky tape holding them in place:
P1090371.JPG

Then get yourself a pair of lids from an earlier car and screw the lids in place:
P1090373.JPG

P1090377.JPG

How's that for a thread-jack?   LOL 

P1090378.JPG

• Like 3

That's roughly my plan, all right. Tho I don't figure to surgically remove the vertical bulkhead extension behind the seats, as tempting as the thought might be. Originality, and all that. Plus, it will keep loose luggage from striking the seatbacks.

Also, I'm looking for a skinny spare on a 15" wheel to get the overall dia. closer to that of the road wheels. This will not fit into the well for a flat floor of course, but will occasion shorter (bolt-in) supports/belt mounts and vertical partition and at the edge of the spare. This will require new carpet pieces, so I figure to do edged cuts for the spare lid and on the actual floor over the bin lids.

So again, anyone know where a fellow could get a pair of the Factory bin lids these days? Any thoughts on a fair price for them?