Car54280ZX

Restoration Unveiled Today 08.17.2019

I totally agree---beautiful car Rich---very nice.

Looks like you'll both be ready for Branson ZFest and Nashville next year---no problem.

Looking forward to seeing it and you. together.

There is a company in Greenville SC, circuit board medics. They might be able to troubleshoot you in-op display

Thank you Patcon ! I will check into Circuit Board Medics for sure. It's the only thing that's not working.

4 hours ago, Zup said:

I totally agree---beautiful car Rich---very nice.

Looks like you'll both be ready for Branson ZFest and Nashville next year---no problem.

Looking forward to seeing it and you. togeth er.

Thanks, Zup ! It's been a long time restoration. Roberts Automotive Antique Car Restoration division did a great job. And really great people to work with. We really worked together on this - I did lots of the research. Then bought lots of items that I decided not to use - too cheap looking. Like carpet. I stayed with the original carpet and just had it cleaned by a fire restoration company. If a fire restoration company can't get stink out of things, no one can! 

One thing I messed up on is the valve cover. after months of frustration trying to learn how to restore the finish, I finally powder coated it. I learned at the 50th Anniversary International ZCon last month in Branson that I cannot enter into the pure stock category. Only purists (like all of us Z owners) would know the difference.

Items that I would have been penalized on include:

1. Powder coated valve cover.

2. Powder coated intake manifold.

3. Powder coated transmission bell housing.

4. Dealer installed pin striping.

5. Dealer installed side moulding (installed with rivets).

If I pull off the pin striping and the side moulding, I would see a paint color difference, requiring a complete re-paint. I have original paint, still. As far as the powder coating, tons more work to redo the intake manifold and bell housing. That's down the road a bit, now.

I hope to enter it into a slightly lower "stock" category at next year's Branson ZCon and Nashville.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, colinc said:

I love that colour combo. Beautiful car. Congrats !

Check out this photo. My Mom (longtime deceased) found this in an ad in a 1981 volume of National Geographic.

Exact color, exact everything. I have it on one of my three display boards that I created.2018 0609 National Geographic 280ZX_vintage-ads-vintage-posters.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

Beautiful car, extremely well done.  Congrats - now, drive the damn thing and get some long past due enjoyment out of it.

I "will" absolutely drive it this time around! What a huge mistake. I will store it in my attached garage this time, better humidity control. I'm thinking about buying a "CarCoon" from the UK. These CarCoons have a circulation system included. I would just have to install a 220 volt hook up in my garage, which should be a breeze.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Patcon said:

There is a company in Greenville SC, circuit board medics. They might be able to troubleshoot you in-op display

I reached out on their website and sent an inquiry. I tried to sign-up as a user but they have to approve you.

It's Sunday, so I will wait to hear back from them.

Thanks for the tip!!

• Like 1

I reached out on their website and sent an inquiry. I tried to sign-up as a user but they have to approve you.

It's Sunday, so I will wait to hear back from them.

Thanks for the tip!!

Regarding ZCON, the ZCCA Stock category is a brutally difficult class as Zup and many others have learned.  The changes you listed might be difficult to undo and there will possibly be other items that need attention.  There is no other stock class available, cars with up to 15 modifications typically compete in the Street Modified class where it is not so much WHAT you did but rather HOW WELL you did it.  Your car would likely do very well in this class.

• Like 1

I'm starting the restoration on my 280zx AE.  I have received some quotes on the process, and I have sticker shock.  May I ask what you spent.

Car54280zx, the restoration is absolutely fantastic, and has set the standard I will try to match.

Edited by hansmeister

4 hours ago, hansmeister said:

May I ask what you spent.

Not to dissuade you, but are you looking for a good reason to not do it??

If you are expecting the finished "restoration" to look, drive and feel "as new" you should be prepared to spend what a new car would cost.

Probably more.

6 hours ago, hansmeister said:

I'm starting the restoration on my 280zx AE.  I have received some quotes on the process, and I have sticker shock.  May I ask what you spent.

If you just want to drive a nice restored classic, don't restore it yourself, just buy a good restored car. If you have to pay someone to do it you will have to pay 10's of 1000 dollars/euro's whatever..

I'm in the last let's say half a year of my 280zx 1979 slick-top  sort of restauration ( engine and so was perfect because of low mileage (kilometers in my case) and i'm after a perfect paintjob that will take place in a month or so i'll be going over 15000 dollar and then i'm NOT COUNTING THE MANY, MANY HOURS I GOT IN IT MYSELF..

Yes it is...  and should be a labour of love.  otherwise you don't have to go through all the trouble.  And if you think you can do it yourself, you need to be a handy man.. otherwise forget it..  (i have seen some people who started it but it never came to an end.. it ends like a bad dream and a big moneypitt.

Zup and dutchzcarguy - Thank you for your input.  It is appreciated.  The quotes I have are twice the funds available to me ($30K).  Obviously, I will need to perform as much work as possible myself.  I already have most of the parts that are needed (new, rebuilt, or overhauled).  The amount of labor needed will be enormous.  But, it has to be done.

As I proceed, I may need further advice, and will be looking forward to quality info.

My friend paid a shop to restore his 260Z over the course of 5 years. He sent cheques every month and paid for the work by the hour.... In the end his car was north of $140,000 Cdn, mostly for the hourly work. He paid $30,000 for the engine alone. This is not a hobby for the faint of heart.... or shallow of pocket.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 12:57 AM, Car54280ZX said:

Need to figure how to trouble shoot the status display.

Interesting… as an (old) electronic engineer.. i think it's a nixie tube display?  let me know what the problem is.. first find out where the electronics are sitting for it.. and that will have a lot of wiring to al sorts of sensors everywhere in the car.. the display doesn't work or does it light up partial..?

Nice 280zx just the color is not my cup of thea.. as the english say  haha...   good job!

1 hour ago, wheee! said:

My friend paid a shop to restore his 260Z over the course of 5 years. He sent cheques every month and paid for the work by the hour.... In the end his car was north of $140,000 Cdn, mostly for the hourly work. He paid $30,000 for the engine alone.This is not a hobby for the faint of heart.... or shallow of pocket.

D a m n!  I agree with you but WOW that's crazy money.

A world where everything is the exact opposite. Up is down, first is last, good is bad, wrong is right, white is black, logical is illogical, giving is taking, insanity is sane, liberty is tyranny, and vice versa. It's a place where literally, the sky is forest green and the trees are sky blue.

• Like 1

Honestly, I see more cars at shows north of $50,000 in restoration costs WITHOUT labour factored in, I'm not surprised anymore. It will always be cheaper to buy someone else's finished product than to do it yourself....

• Like 4