IGNORED

weak spark some backfire

zclocks

Ok, I am officially stumped on this one and need some help.

Car

75 Calif 280z with only 80 miles on a rebuild 14 yeas ago. I know it's along story .

Problem:

1-I have a small back fire thru the AFM only some times when I crack the throttle.

2- cylinders 1,2,3 have a small drop out(loss of spark). 4,5,6 look very good using Colortune.

What was checked:

1.       Originally the car would not start. Fuel pump was bad and replaced.

Idle pressure 32psi and pump head pressure is 40.

2.       Checked pressure regulator and not leaking at vacuum port.

3.       Plugs replaced  as they looked very dark.

4.       Vacuum is 17mmhg and steady.

5.       AFM boot cracked and was replaced.

6.       Adjusted valves (cold and hot).

7.       Checked timing , 10 deg btdc

8.       Air/fuel meter indicates I am now running slightly lean (at operating temp) and rich at start up.

9.       Checked timing chain mark on cam shaft  sprocket . Is just to left on mark #2

10.   Cap and rotor inspected and no cracks or discoloration.

11.   checked resistance of plug wires and all within 500ohms.

12.   checked all 6 dropping resistors. All measured 6.5 ohms

Observations:

1.       I have a shut off valve on the fuel line and can isolate pump pressure from fuel rail. The gauge is after  the shut off so I can check pressure between the gauge and injectors.  I might have one or several injectors leaking as the pressure drops off in about 30 min.

2.       Using Color tune plugs 1,2,3 have a weak spark , some misses in spark and are slightly blue(good color)

3.       Plugs 4,5,6 have a bright spark, consistent firing and no misses.

So what it looks like is that plugs 1,2,3 have a weak spark which could be causing my backfire. The only common point  I see between the plugs would be the dropping  resistors, which all measure the same 6.5 ohms, spark plug wires, coil, and distributor.  

At this point what am I missing? Any help would be appreciated.

Ron

Edited by zclocks
forgot car info

4 hours ago, zclocks said:

Car

75 Calif 280z with only 80 miles on a rebuild 14 yeas ago. I know it's along story .

Problem:

1-I have a small back fire thru the AFM only some times when I crack the throttle.

Does the engine stumble or lag when it backfires?  Some people call it "frontfire".  Sounds a bit like the "lean" problem that many of us have fixed by adding a potentiometer in to the coolant temperature sensor circuit.

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/tempsensorpot/index.html

A miss in three cylinders has to be in the cap, rotor, plug wires or plugs. It would seem that you've eliminated wires and plugs  (NGK BP6ES?) from the list.  Don't know what brand the cap and rotor are nor how old they are but I'd replace them with a quality brand. Nissan and Bosch are the two I'd investigate. Jalex in Panama cleared up a similar problem with Bosch parts.

I think that the EFI system engines always sound like they have a miss at idle.  Because all 6 injectors open at the same time and each cylinder is at a different point in it's 4 cycles.  They don't all get the same type of fuel-air charge.  I think that it leads to incomplete combustion in some cylinders and that's why the manufacturers developed sequential injection for idle and low RPM.

You'll know more when the engine is under load.  Good luck.

did you try swapping the injector plugs 123 with 456 to see if the lean run follows the injector plugs.

Also did you could try swapping the injectors themselves if no change with the plug swap.

the richness of the AFM will have an effect on both idle and vacuum. a rich setting will increase both. I recently tested this and found that adjusting the AFM bypass screw could be used to optimize idle quality and vacuum, prob at the expense of emissions.

I haven't swapped injectors, not my favorite thing , but that's just about all that's left. My car use to idle very smooth and had quick throttle response.

I know there's a definite miss in 1-2-3. Could be the injectors not working correctly although they sound good . What are the chances that just 1-2-3 injectors are bad? 

Ok, thanks for the input and I will proceed with my quest.

Ron