IGNORED

Steering wheel restoration.

Av8ferg

Upper left "Natural" looks like factory.

Yeah, you’re probably right. I’m not sure I’m a fan that. I have three steering wheels. This will be my test case.
Interesting, the nicest one I have had a leather wrap on it when I bought it from a guy in Montana that owned the car for a decade. The wrapped looked like it was from the 70’s. Under it was pretty dark so I’m doubtful it was ever refinished. They may have changed the colors as the production progressed. Here a pic of that wheel.
25ed1c1715128399f6251b16c6b99f10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point JFA. Change of plans. Going to just put to poly on and see what happens, I can always sand it off if it looks bad. She looks pretty good now with the wheel prepped. Check it out. 442ef082b8f1a1080a4fb947faeb79a2.jpg

• Like 2

I was so glad I didn't try stain either. It's not wood so stain wouldn't have penetrated, just laid on top was my thinking.

Anyhow it looks great! I much prefer the 240 wheels over the 280's. 

I think your going to end up with a 240 mashed into a 280? RossiZ did it and it looked great. Classic car with a little more comfort. You go Mr Ferg!!!

Thanks Gents.
Cliff, the purest would stick his nose up when considering mashing together a 240 and 280. Both cars have their pluses and minuses. I like the 240z styling,(bumpers, turn markers, interior like the wood and the diamond vinyl etc..). The 280z is a more defined ride, kinks were sorted in the final production years of the 280. I can only have one Z, unlike you, so I need to make it the car the best of both.
So my plan is to only change things that with minimal effort can be reversed. I’ll put a front air dam on with 240 marker lights and 240z bumpers. I’m going to do a custom interior vinyl like “Home Built by Jeff” did. While the car will be custom it won’t be over the top. Only the enthusiast and Z lover will know the changes. Average car guy won’t have a clue.

• Like 3

the 280z steering wheel is no where near as durable, I have a very nice one, its the molded cushion foam, but you can tell its starting to get a bit loose in one area, and will puff up if exposes to sun. I think later ones had leather but the 75 was by far the most fragile. I found myself turning it by using the spokes when slow moving (high steering force required). Going to the 240z with no fear of grabbing the rim was like going to power steering. A very good mod indeed. I like my 75 bumpers, think the 76 were good too. offers a little protection with out the over the top found in the 78 and maybe the 77. Only down side is the rubber parts if bad are extremely hard to find. I got lucky, mine are in great shape.

• Like 1

Dave,
I agree my 280z steering wheel looks like it was left on Venus for 3 yrs. The rubber looks like it was microwaved. Bumpers...I could live with the 75’ bumpers but in 77 they almost look like clown shoes.