BayAreaZ650

Picking up a 1977 280z 6 Hours Away. Tips?

On 6/25/2019 at 5:29 AM, Dave WM said:

you did not say if the fuse link blows instantly regardless of if the head light switch is on or off. that would help.

The fuse blew immediately. The combo switch and the turn signals won't work at all and the wipers turn on by themselves.

4 hours ago, BayAreaZ650 said:

The fuse blew immediately. The combo switch and the turn signals won't work at all and the wipers turn on by themselves.

ok so now the fun begins, get the wiring diagram from the FSM that details the headlights for starters, you should be able to find the power lead, un plug that and see if you can clear the short on the terminal where the fuse wire plugs in. You are going to want to set things up for continuity testing and start working to see when the short goes away. My guess is the combo switch has been futz with, but you will just have to do some circuit tracing. IIRC its a big fat single red lead plug that is part of the combo switch harness. That one supplies power thru the combo switch back to the fuse box that has dual 10amp fuses for each head light. The headlight get the ground thru the dimmer, a big fat Black lead that is part of the combo switch harness.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1

I want to get the 280z painted soon. I was considering removing the 280z bumpers completely and have the shop close the holes or replace it with 240z bumpers. Do the 280z bumpers help at all with protection in a collision? I'd like to be sure that I'm not compromising the little safety the Z offers.

3 hours ago, BayAreaZ650 said:

Do the 280z bumpers help at all with protection in a collision? I'd like to be sure that I'm not compromising the little safety the Z offers.

They're not there for their beauty.  You will be compromising.  But not much.

I don't think anyone buys a classic Z for the safety.  I agree with ZH, they might protect your car from granny in the parking lot from smashing up your rear apron but if you get hit with any real force those bumpers won’t do a darn thing to protect you,   Captain Obvious is probably designing a 10 mph bumper that sticks out 24 inches for his restomod.  Sorry CO....its 3am, I'm working and between flights...couldn’t  help myself ?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

I beg your pardon, I'm not that old.:rolleyes:

Typo.... he meant grannyknot, not granny.... we heard that you were a demolition derby champ in the 80's so you have a rep ?

Demolition Derby Champ #2
Blog%2B-%2BBLue-Haired%2BNASCAR%2BGrannies.jpg&key=b130ca2cc598beed82a8368d9028e71a2abafc160e86d03729617c040e0b5755

Your 280 bumpers can’t handle her. Maybe CO’s bumper he’s engineering might hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. You guys have been on a roll in my absence. Glad to provide you with so much amusement at my expense!   LOL

I would usually deflect stuff like this with "Yeah, whatever. My car runs great", but that's not currently the case. So go ahead... Poke your fun. I'll get even someday!   :victorious:

• Like 2

We know you don’t have a smart phone so it’s easy to beat you up while you long in to AOL. 3b7a0a923f27fd11e925b2fd64b6e99a.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Hold up! I'm the forum's bufoon.

CO is our "stable genius". LOL

CO is a genius in our barnyard, err..stable,   But you're not a buffoon,  just somebody I wouldn't trust to be near my sister, daughter, or mother........?

Edited by gwri8
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, gwri8 said:

CO is a genius in our barnyard, err..stable,   But you're not a buffoon,  just somebody I wouldn't trust to be near my sister, daughter, or mother........?

So your wife is a bad a s s? I'll remember that if I ever get the opportunity to meet her. :love:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

So your wife is a bad a s s? I'll remember that if I ever get the opportunity to meet her. :love:

Yep, she's been kick'n both of my hind cheeks for over 24 years and shows no sign of letting up.?

• Haha 3

There's a reason the fuses blow and the wipers come on by themselves. I would try and figure that out. I fixed my combo switch by just flipping those 2 plates and some cleaning. I have that on my laptop. I will post it tomorrow.

Cliff 

The bumpers! They get a bad rap.

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 3:29 PM, wal280z said:

Did you figure out why the fuse blew? I know I'm not you, and you aren't me, but I would want to figure out why it blows before I paint it... I guarantee the bumpers aren't causing the short...

I know wiring isn't for everyone, but...... there is a present for you (and every other 1977 owner), right here on this site....

Check out the download section, specifically wiring diagrams...  https://www.classiczcars.com/files/

No I didn’t fix it yet. I’ll definitely getting to it this month.

I been meaning to ask what this crack near the passenger side quarter panel could be. The driver’s side is slightly raised (middle photo). Is this frame damage or rust? Can it be fixed?

Today I fixed a leak! The transmission leak was caused by the mechanic not tightening the drain bolt?

C1BC0949-538A-413A-B7B5-2DA51DEA724D.jpeg

84C3CEF7-24CC-4E4C-AD8E-E270CCB8C6F3.jpeg

D3D46264-992B-49C1-BCA8-7443F36C7F78.jpeg

Edited by BayAreaZ650

That is the lead weld that holds the roof to the rear quarter panels or sails.  They used lead so the joint could flex a bit and still stay smooth. Most Z's don't have a problem with the joint cracking but sometimes, if the car has been thrashed on the track and the body has been over stressed you will see cracks forming at that seam,  also, sometimes water gets to the lead, it oxidises/expands and a crack forms.

The D/S looks okay it just needed a bit more smoothing before it was painted, the P/S looks like the water has gotten to it.  The only way to fix it is take that area down to bare metal and dig out all the punky lead, hopefully the water hasn't gotten to the steel yet.