IGNORED

1978 280z what is this Filter Looking in fuel line?

cclxxxz

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:20 PM, grannyknot said:

most of my 280z knowledge comes directly from Bruce.

Too... much... pressure.......

You guys don't need me here. You got this!    :beer:

But just because I'm here, here's a couple other threads that talk about that check valve:
https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/60827-where-is-the-fuel-vapor-check-valve-located/?tab=comments#comment-558365
https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/58221-starting-problem/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-528408

12 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Vapor vent or one way valve,  I see my confusion now, my unit blows through in either direction.

It's supposed to blow through in both directions (some check valve, huh). The trick is that it's supposed to blow through EASIER in one direction than the other:
checkvalve2.jpg

On 2/20/2019 at 6:34 PM, Captain Obvious said:

Too... much... pressure.......

You guys don't need me here. You got this!    :beer:

But just because I'm here, here's a couple other threads that talk about that check valve:
https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/60827-where-is-the-fuel-vapor-check-valve-located/?tab=comments#comment-558365
https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/58221-starting-problem/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-528408

It's supposed to blow through in both directions (some check valve, huh). The trick is that it's supposed to blow through EASIER in one direction than the other:
checkvalve2.jpg

ive given up.. i dont know where to buy a replacement? do you guys know? thanks

20 hours ago, cclxxxz said:

ive given up.. i dont know where to buy a replacement? do you guys know? thanks

You don't need it for engine operation.  It's an emissions device.  Edit - the following statement is wrong >>> Any check valve will work.

Cool.  I've discovered a new trick.

Edited by Zed Head

That one is for fuel.  "280" is looking for the vapor line check valve.

Actually, I was wrong in my earlier comment.  Not any check valve will work.  How it works is shown in the FSM drawing.  Two way, like CO said.

It's kind of redundant as far as the fresh air flow backward to the tank since the gas tank cap has a vent also.  If you do change it to a check valve make sure that it lets air out.  The filter that's on there is probably the best "fix" until you find a real one.

But it's not really going to affect engine performance.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure why then needed that device in there at all in the first place.

When the fuel vapor expands, you want it to push into the carbon can. It will do that with just a hose. When the fuel vapor contracts, you want to prevent a vacuum on the fuel tank, and there's already a check valve built into the filler cap that will prevent that.

I haven't looked into it, but I'm unclear why they thought they needed that fancy unbalanced two way check valve at all. Maybe they wanted to run "a little bit" of positive pressure in the tank to help out the fuel pump?

6 minutes ago, gwri8 said:

Did you ever find a vapor line check valve?  I just ran across one in my stash. PM me if interested.

i wouldve bought it from you.. i just got lucky that this weekend a 280z showed up in a nearby junkyard.. thank you!

1 hour ago, cclxxxz said:

i wouldve bought it from you.. i just got lucky that this weekend a 280z showed up in a nearby junkyard.. thank you!

Jung called that kind of timing Synchronicity. You did stop on the way home and buy some lottery tickets, right?