IGNORED

I've been looking for a project

z8987

30 minutes ago, z8987 said:

Am I looking at a rebuild?   Any recommendations in Northern California ? 

Not really clear where you're at on the project.  Could be that somebody already rebuilt the head and those parts are from the past.

How does the head and valve train look?  I haven't looked back through the 7 pages.

2 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Not really clear where you're at on the project.  Could be that somebody already rebuilt the head and those parts are from the past.

How does the head and valve train look?  I haven't looked back through the 7 pages.

Good point.  I can check to see if all the lash pads are in place. 

22 minutes ago, z8987 said:

My goal was to be driving this thing within the week.  Kind of bummed   right now. 

Not clear what you're bummed about.  Old parts in the oil pan are pretty common.  People find all kinds of things in there.

13 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Not clear what you're bummed about.  Old parts in the oil pan are pretty common.  People find all kinds of things in there.

I’m not familiar with this type of a problem. I was thinking it’s a big deal. Based on your comments I’m not so worried.  I’ll clean up the oil pan reinstall and move up to the top to look for missing parts. ?

After I got the carbs on and used the carb synchronizer tool, when I lifted the piston in the front carb, the engine would almost immediately die. When performing the same thing on the rear carb, it wouldn’t kill the engine as quickly, does this provide any valuable information? 

Have you given the engine a thorough tuneup?  Adjusted valve lash, new spark plugs, set ignition timing?  How many minutes of running are on the engine since you got it restarted after sitting for 15 years?  Might still be some rusted and gummed up parts in the engine.