IGNORED

dash restoration

26th-Z

Originally posted by biker

They also do these covering for other bits and pieces

Excellent! Thanks for the pictures and sharing your trip with us! On a side note, I wonder if they'd make some kind of wood-trim package for the 240z. Might be kind of fun.

Fantastic work Biker! You get the A+ for the day. THe close-up of the grain is most interesting. The facia shot has me right with you - "Spending too much again" indeed! What fun for us kiddies.

Again, as I tried to clarify in my original response to this post (#9, go back and check it out) they do have an alternative to what is seen in biker's photos, that I have a sample of, that IMO is more suitable to the original. I don't have it with me right now, but will tomorrow post the reference#. Also, will again try to get photo post to help clarify.:classic:

Originally posted by Alfadog

I guess the alternative isn't exactly cheap!!!

You're right there. I just shelled out $825 for a brand new Nissan dash for my '71. I wasn't able to get an original '71 (no longer available), so, I settled for a '72 dash. Minor difference is visible by a larger cigarette lighter indentation directly next to the hazard switch indentation. I use that term because they aren't exactly HOLES until you cut through to install the devices.

My choices were:

1) Wait for my dash to be re-covered in 6-8 weeks (and wait to work on it at all).

2) Buy a new '72 dash and just swap the components over using my old dash as a reference.

I opted for #2 because I knew I'd be sitting and staring at it every time I drive the car. Not to mention that it's a complete bitch to remove and re-install a dash after everything else in the car is put together.

I don't recommend that everyone follows this theory. I think a dash re-cover would be just fine. I just managed to find a dash that was available. Not many of them left.

-- Mike

Originally posted by biker

This is another photo one from Dashboard restorations

Biker, did they happen to mention other materials available for this dash covering? I think it would be fun to do something out of carbon-fibre or a plastic/rubber material found on newer cars.

I've also seen a dash covered in leather. It looked excellent with the stitching... gave it a totally custom look. I think there's a picture of it in our gallery somewhere (along with a carbon fibre dash as well).

[m]

Oh my, what did I start? H20-Z tells it all - the Aussie texture IS inverted and appears to have more of a "leather" grain than the original stipple. I'm going for it, though. I hope all you "original" buffs will forgive me. Incidently, I notice the defroster vents seem to be unique to the series one dash. So... should I leave the "mystery indent" alone, or should I install a driving lamp switch in that location? I have a toggle identical to the hazard toggle for the application. The console has a driving lamp switch location next to the hatch glass defroster switch. Would love to hear comments - as I have thoroughly enjoyed all the rest of the remarks on this site!

26th-Z

I would only install the driving lights if they are the original factory ones that were an option. This is the correct location for driving light activation switch, ie in the dash cut-out above the hazard warning light switch.

Regards

Joseph Gauci

Ok, I'll throw more of my 2c at this one....

I actually moved my choke to the vacant cuttout, with the same style pull knob as the vents. 'Cause I got tired of that lever right in the middle of my console.

The plan is then to 'cover' the flat area of the console from front to rear with (originally) wood veneer to match the steering wheel, or black plexiglass (which will also be replacing the temp control panel and ash tray as well). (Temp control is going electric, and the ash tray cover, I plan to engrave the Z logo)

...more sleek.