Well, that is not what I planned - Page 2 - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Well, that is not what I planned

Featured Replies

 I was talking about welding. I have little to no experience with brazing but it would have been my Dad's first choice for this repair.

  • Author

No it was removed to do the repair, photo is of it reinstalled on the new(original) rebuilt motor. And yes it was drilled out at both ends of the crack and ground out between the holes. I think it will last for quite a while, but will keep checking it every so often.

  • 4 months later...
  • Author
  • Popular Post

So after seeing what happened to my cam oiler tube, and talking to another Z owner who had the same problem with major results. The front tube fell out and got caught in the timing chain. Trashed the bottom gear and of course bent a bunch of valves. So I decided to try to come up with a way to stop the tubes from fall down into the lower engine if they failed and am trying this to see it helps.IMGP2084.jpgIMGP2063.jpgIMGP2085.jpg

Edited by 240dkw

 I like it. Will the grommets withstand the heat and oil?

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Excellent!

When does this go to market?? LOL

How long will that grommet last? All depends on what it's made out of. If it's good quality Nitrile or Viton, then it might last a while. If it's something of unknown composition bought at the local hardware store, then who knows!? It could last 40 years, or it could disintegrate into pieces in a couple hours.

I like the idea of the "splint", although it doesn't address the root cause of the problem.

  • Author
12 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

How long will that grommet last? All depends on what it's made out of. If it's good quality Nitrile or Viton, then it might last a while. If it's something of unknown composition bought at the local hardware store, then who knows!? It could last 40 years, or it could disintegrate into pieces in a couple hours.

I like the idea of the "splint", although it doesn't address the root cause of the problem.

It is a off the shelf grommet, says it is vinyl on the package so we will see what looks like in 500 miles

Yeah, keep an eye on them and make sure they aren't falling apart. Could be compatible, or could be an issue.

Here's to hoping they outlast the rest of the car!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.