IGNORED

Interesting early Z on BaT

grannyknot

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-datsun-240z-32/

The L24 engine has been replaced with a JDM 2.0 L  with 73 flat top carbs.  The seller hasn't responded to questions of why.  The original block and head come with it but no mention if there is any damage to them.  Also a throttle lever installed even though the VIN is HLS30-04000

Otherwise the car looks to be in pretty good shape.

JDM 2.0L.jpeg

1970_datsun_240z_1546468148f9f98764da5E78C04A-AA65-4B47-B7D8-E3345DAE8544-620x465.jpeg

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

The L24 engine has been replaced with a JDM 2.0 L  with 73 flat top carbs.  The seller hasn't responded to questions of why. 

JDM 2.0L.jpeg

As I've posted on BaT, the carburettors appear to be Hitachi HJG38W-8 type, which would be correct for the '74-up Japanese market L20AT engine that this seems to be. They are not North American market 'Flat Top' carburettors.

As for "why?", how about because the owner had the engine available, having taken it out of his Fairlady Z, which had received a modified L24 engine...? 

Hs30-h

Are you familiar with why the shifter location on this car would be so far forward? Seller doesn’t seem to know what it is. They must of really cut into the tunnel.

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

Dpappe

19 minutes ago, 7tooZ said:

Hs30-h

Are you familiar with why the shifter location on this car would be so far forward? Seller doesn’t seem to know what it is. They must of really cut into the tunnel.

The description says that it has been fitted with a 5-speed transmission. If it came from the same source vehicle as the engine (?) then it would be an FS5C71-B, which would require shifter and/or tunnel mods in this 1970 production bodyshell. An FS5C71-A would be a straight fit, so I presume it is a B-type 5-speed.

• Like 2

Looks way to far forward for a Bll type trans.
Interesting. Maybe he will respond to my question

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

6 hours ago, 240260280 said:

We have an L20 in our Z Barn

Does that L24 have the E30 head?  I've got some of those..  Once had a L26 in a 240z with a E30 on it!  Worked well that combination..  Later on i tested a E30 on a 240z/L24 but the compression was to much hahaha… (the starter had a hard time to start it!)  i think it could have worked with a fat copper (selfmade) gasket!

• Like 1

Alan , you are correct, I see the picture of the car showed in BAT it has the B type transmission which is designed for two-piece casting case while an A type is designed for three - piece .

This car should originally have an A type 4 speed ( spline type ) which is easy for this modify , because  a late 1972 or later B type 5 speed  is a spline type . Just use an existing propeller shaft . However, cutting the floor tunnel /part of  the console is not an easy work for me .

Kats

9D306AC6-C77B-4984-B06D-B249B90AF6B0.jpeg

Edited by kats

1 hour ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Does that L24 have the E30 head?  I've got some of those..  Once had a L26 in a 240z with a E30 on it!  Worked well that combination..  Later on i tested a E30 on a 240z/L24 but the compression was to much hahaha… (the starter had a hard time to start it!)  i think it could have worked with a fat copper (selfmade) gasket!

I was looking for an impression of an E30 with an L24 , thanks !

Once I asked about “ High octane or Regular gasoline for export model “ here , but I am not clear enough. 

What I am trying to say is , E31 would mean “ less compression, for regular gasoline “ 

while E30 would mean “ higher compression, for High octane gasoline “ .

Export S30 ( 240Z ) started with E31 , we know it is higher compression than E88 , but originally E31 would have meant to be a less compression, regular gasoline , would not have it ? 

Seeing a parts catalog for Fairlady Z , when the car was started making  , L20 had an E30 ( 9.5 ? compression) . Then after mid. 1970  L20 added a choice of E31 ( less compression , for regular gasoline. I forgot the ratio because I am in Houston Texas now ! ) .

In Japan , we don’t have E31 with L24 ( except for racing cars ) because when the time Fairlady 240Z series went on sale ( Nov 1971 ) , L24 already had E88 .

Nissan annunced Fairlady 240Z series is a regular gasoline engine which is good for environment.

Kats

20 hours ago, 240260280 said:
22 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Does that L24 have the E30 head? 

I'll have to check. My buddy owns it.

If it has, it will have a fat headgasket..  (or no flattop pistons, like in a L26 (euro))

I think that when i tested a E30 on my L24 it had a compression around 1:12 ??  or even higher, after a few runs the gasket went...  And i installed the (revised) Original E88 back on it.. was in 2007..(car ran fine it just needed new gaskets and seals then.)  till today it runs beautiful but after 48 years the pistonrings are getting very old..   

Last year i went to a dealer in Germany and i drove it over 200km/h on the German highway and i think i have blown a valveseal or something.. (broken a pistonring? comp. is good at all 6) , since then it uses a bit to much oil..  ( my 240z is up for an complete overhaul after i finish my orig. dutch (euro type)  280zx 2+2 slick roof..) 

• Like 1