IGNORED

How to: Diff fluid service

youztheclue

Nissan used some pretty strong thread sealer on the fill plug.  The plug in the video has been out before, it's not stock.  I had to use heat to get mine out.  Not red hot but enough to expand the aluminum cover and soften up the sealer.  I could only turn the plug when the cover was warm, when it cooled down it got tight again.

Good tips on removing the control arm caps and loosening the cross brace.  You can also loosen the mustache bar nuts and let the diff drop slightly.  With support under it of course.

Here's another tip - never try to refill the diff if it's 40 degrees F in the garage.  It will take forever.

Weld a 1/2 piece of bar stock to a section of flat or 1/2 inch stock which will be your handle. Measure the clearance before welding. Wrap handle if you like. Now you have a tool that is long and strong enough.

If you have an outie and not an inie for a fill plug take a 17m wrench you can either put the other end in the cup of a small jack and use the hydraulic power of the jack or cut the end off the box end of wrench and insert a length of 1/2 or 3/4 pipe to leverage the wrench.

• Like 1