IGNORED

78 280z fuel tank drain plug

AZDatsun

Pretty pretty pretty sure that somebody out there knows the thread pitch and  size but here's a link to the Nissan part numbers.  They call it a plug and packing.  Talk about translation problems.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsuns30/Datsun-Z-Index/Engine-280Z/Fuel-Tank/From-Jul-76

BIG EDIT Sorry about this but the 1/2"x20 is completely wrong, You are looking for an M8x1.25 bolt.

I was looking through my notes and 1/2"x20 is what I have there but that must be for something else, I just went out to the storage shed to dig out the gas tank. A 1977 280z gas tank has M8x1.25 drain bolt.

Note to self, re check my notes :facepalm:

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Actually, I'm still trying to find mine, I removed it when I was restoring the tank and put it somewhere safe, so safe it still hasn't shown up, I may have to make one.

Don't you hate it when you do that! I have a roll pin I took out of something. Put it in a conspicuous place in the shop so I wouldn't lose it.

I still have it, but I forgot what it came out of....:facepalm:

33 minutes ago, ryanotown22 said:

Well the plug is still available but it looks like but the “packing” is NLA. what should I use to replace the washer? (Correction both are NLA

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

@ryanotown22, my apologies, see post #3.  Forget the 1/2"x20 that is completely wrong, my notes are wrong. The drainage bolt you are looking for is a M8x1.25,  I just checked my gas tank and it is M8x1.25,  what a twit.

The problem with a standard M8x1.25 is the bottom of the head isn't really flat and there is not much of it to get a crush washer to do its job. The original drain bolt had a larger head with a machined flat bottom for a good seal.

The "packing" is the copper or aluminum crush washer.

Edited by grannyknot