IGNORED

280z

startt21

This is a total newb question and I am anticipating a lot of smart arse remarks honestly. However I am new to the z car itself. I picked my '78 up about 6 months ago and am in the process of deciding what route I want to go with it. I will definitely be keeping ac in it because I live in Texas. My question however what pics and information do any of you have on period race inspired builds on these cars? I want to keep with the l-series motor and I have a cam and dual car setup I am going to run, so I am mostly looking for the interior and body styling.

Welcome to the Z world and this group of diseaZed fanatics You'll find very few if any smart arse remarks here. As a group, we like to keep the focus on the cars. Saw your pics over at H.Z. Share them over here too. What ideas do you have for the interior and body styling?

• Like 1

Currently I been thinking of going with more of a bare exterior. No funky wide body or anything major, at most bumper deletes, a from air dam and flares. Well of course wheels and mild suspension mods too. As far as the interior I have been thinking about selling most of the interior pieces to make way for the skillard pieces and a small roll bar behind the seats. Just give it a real "period" correct track car feel but keep it streetable as much as possible. Below are all the pics I share on H.Z. Any feedback or input is appreciated. If anyone is interested in the interior parts let me know maybe we can work out a deal. Or any parts for that matter. THIS IS NOT A PART OUT THREAD, but if I don't need/want it and someone else does then why not. And yes I think the blue front air dam will go as well for maybe more of a bumperless stock look.

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1625.JPG

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1668.PNG

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

Welcome to forum.    I don't think you'll get many smart arse comments on here and like was said earlier the people on the forum have a love for these cars and are motivated to help the community, so again welcome.  I got on here about a year ago after buying a Z that I really had wanted for 20+ years.  I asked plenty of stupid questions as I educated myself.  Great people on this have guided me well on my path to restoring my car.  

My first question for you is, what motivated you to buy this car?..the answer will better lead people on here to what your original inspiration was.   Capt Obvious had a great write up on the different paths people go with these cars when referring to a guy selling one in PA.  I'll see if I can find it.   Your intended usage will also be a driving factor.  Daily Driver, Show Car, Weekender, Track Car and so on.  

You have a lot of work ahead of you, and it will require some endurance to see this through.  Too many guys don't have the enduring motivation to see these project through properly.   Recognize now that you are not Garage Monkey and will not be finished in 3 weeks or 3 months.  These projects are sometimes a year or more into the making.   I see your are already attacking the rust...the Achilles Heel of these cars.  Another idea is to start a journal of your progress.  I did this and its beneficial for several reasons. 1. After doing extensive research on topic but not being able act on it I was able to ensure I didn't have to do all the research again. E.g. What is a largest tire you can fit on a 280z and not rub the body without fender flares, and how will it impact steering and ride?  I need tires but haven't bought them yet but I know when its time, exactly what I need because its in my journal.  2. It will help you troubleshoot your problems and finally recall things you have forgotten.  

My final piece of advice.  Pictures pictures.....take more than you need before you disassemble something. Picture are free, so don't screw this up.  Your memory will fail you I promise, especially if pulled a part off 3 months ago.  Example, I dissembled my 77 fuel rail to clean it, and replace the rubber hose pieces. it sat for maybe 3 weeks apart and even with pictures I wasn't 100% confident I was putting it back together right.  Without pics I would have been on this forum asking stupid questions again.

• Like 3

What he said!  All good advice.

The best $20 I've spent on a Datsun is this book, I'd never built a car motor before but the way he wrote it and the pictures plus some helpful tips and tricks I built the first one by myself.  Didn't have to call Dad, I think he was a little disappointed too. LOL

Anyway it fired right up and runs great.  https://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Your-Nissan-Datsun-Engine/dp/1931128030

Thanks for the advice. This isn't my first Datsun I have had 4 280zx's so far. This is my 5th z car, but first Z car. I have had a lot of ups and downs with the previous ones and learned some of these lessons along the way. My drive behind this Z is I just think they are awesome cars and I wanted to own a Z since my first zx. I did a lot of modifying and body work on that one until I sold it. Then the rest of them never felt the same. I would find rust or something else to discourage me. But this being a Z makes it different. The end purpose of this car is to just have something I enjoy driving whenever I decide to drive it. It will be a weekend cruiser with Im sure some shows and track days in there. It will not be a garage or trailer queen at any point. I just love these cars and want a Z that fits what I think a Z should be. Again I appreciate the previous advice and all the future advice I will be getting. I do try to bag and document everything when I am messing with it so I know where it goes, but I am sure that at some point I will mess that up too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, startt21 said:

Would anyone want to buy these door panels? 

They look to be in good shape. You might be able to get some good coin via ebay. Just make sure if you go that route, that you state in your ad that they are for a 77 or 78 only.