IGNORED

Finally Got My Garage Mahal!!!

Marty Rogan

I'm coming a bit late into this discussion.

Do you have in-ground styrofoam insulation  on your foundation, and hopefully beneath the floor slab?  I'm in a colder climate than you, but I know you still get genuine winter.  My garage is only 22 by 24 feet, and the walls and ceiling are well insulated.  I have a forced air furnace.  The garage is quite old, and I'm certain there is no insulation on the foundation or beneath the floor.  When the furnace kicks in it gets quite comfy, but the minute in shuts off, you can feel the cold just seeping in through the floor. By mid-December It's probably solid frost beneath the concrete.  

A friend of mine went with in-floor hot-water heating when he built his garage a few years ago.  The hot water comes from a domestic h.w. tank, although he understands that wouldn't pass building code today - must have a proper boiler.  In any case once he turns the heat up, the room never gets cold. 

But your floor is already laid, so  my free advice is of no use, unless you wanted to go to the expense of laying a second concrete slab.

That is a lovely property you have.  Congrats.

11 hours ago, Richard McDonel said:

I'm coming a bit late into this discussion.

Do you have in-ground styrofoam insulation  on your foundation, and hopefully beneath the floor slab?  I'm in a colder climate than you, but I know you still get genuine winter.  My garage is only 22 by 24 feet, and the walls and ceiling are well insulated.  I have a forced air furnace.  The garage is quite old, and I'm certain there is no insulation on the foundation or beneath the floor.  When the furnace kicks in it gets quite comfy, but the minute in shuts off, you can feel the cold just seeping in through the floor. By mid-December It's probably solid frost beneath the concrete.  

A friend of mine went with in-floor hot-water heating when he built his garage a few years ago.  The hot water comes from a domestic h.w. tank, although he understands that wouldn't pass building code today - must have a proper boiler.  In any case once he turns the heat up, the room never gets cold. 

But your floor is already laid, so  my free advice is of no use, unless you wanted to go to the expense of laying a second concrete slab.

That is a lovely property you have.  Congrats.

As you said, it is too late for this project, as the floor was already laid before I acquired the place.

The ceiling contractor finally got started on Friday.  They did almost half the ceiling  in one day.  I am hoping they will have the rest completed by the end of this week.

I took advantage of having their scaffolding in the barn, and installed all the lights in the finished area on Saturday.

I was hoping to have the project done before winter, but it is coming together now.  It was the ceiling that was slowing me down.  I will have a update once the ceiling is done.

Edited by Marty Rogan

Boy, that garage is just absolutely fabulous, very jealous here.

Thought I would share a couple pictures of my future garage here.  Wife and I bought a place in Boise Idaho and are renting it out until we are ready to retire which is probably about a year and a half from now.  Garage has 1500 sq-ft of space and a large RV section.  Pretty sure I can fit all of my cars in here.  Our Jeep Grand Cherokee looks kind of small in there.

20200221_170716.jpg

20200221_154931.jpg

20200221_154949.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, motorman7 said:

Boy, that garage is just absolutely fabulous, very jealous here.

Thought I would share a couple pictures of my future garage here.  Wife and I bought a place in Boise Idaho and are renting it out until we are ready to retire which is probably about a year and a half from now.  Garage has 1500 sq-ft of space and a large RV section.  Pretty sure I can fit all of my cars in here.  Our Jeep Grand Cherokee looks kind of small in there.

20200221_170716.jpg

20200221_154931.jpg

20200221_154949.jpg

1500' is a really good size garage.  You will be able to fit a lot of stuff in there.  A friend of mine has a 1550" hanger and I am impressed with the amount of stuff he can cram in there.

I am retiring in about 10 months myself.  I can't wait to have time to do the things I really want to do.

2 hours ago, motorman7 said:

Yes, I am thinking that I can even get a lift in their.  That would be nice.

Also looking very forward to retirement.  So much to do out there.

How high are your ceilings?  They are making a lot of low profile lifts now that can fit in most garages.  However the higher you can lift the car, the better.

Right now, I am considering a 2-post BendPak 7,000lb lift.