IGNORED

Picking a glove box lock?

SledZ

Anyone know how to pick a glove box lock? I tried all my various Datsun keys and screw drivers to no avail. I ended up removing it but would like to get it unlocked so I can at least use it! I don't have the original keys as this came from a parts car I took apart.

glove box lock.jpg

• Like 1

Is the key code sticker still on the inside of the glove box door?  Locksmiths can cut a new key from that code.  It should also be on the passenger side door lock, apparently, if the parts car is still around.

A good locksmith could probably pick that lock too.

I have the same problem with my glove box. I tried removing the bottom screws and it still didn’t come off. What was the trick. I’m really hoping there is something exciting in there waiting for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Av8ferg, in my case, the glovebox was unlocked, but the lock didn’t work with any of the keys that I had for my car.  I just removed 2 screws holding the lock to the door (on back side of door), popped off the plastic finisher on the front side of the lock, and the lock could then be removed from the door.

Is your case having the glovebox locked without having a key?  If so, I would remove the 4 screws at the bottom glovebox door.  Is that what you already did?  I’d next try use a long Phillips head screwdriver to pass through whatever gap you can make between the bottom of the glovebox door and dash, and then unscrew the 2 screws holding the catch for the door lock to the dashboard frame.  Assuming it’s possible to get enough of a gap to do this, and that you have a clear enough shot to reach those 2 screws, removing the screws should let you remove the entire glovebox door, with the catch still held by the lock.  I hope my assumption is correct.  If so, then remove the lock as I described in the first paragraph.

i hope this helps!

Edited by SoCalJim

The lock tumbler on the passenger door was rusted badly that I couldn't read the numbers and nothing in the glove box. I just want to get it unlocked so the glove box can be used then sell the dash. I don't want to really pay a locksmith and figured the lock would be like a "general" lock that about anything  would unlock it but that's not the case or my lock picking skills are lacking!

So I did take the dash out and remove the lock. Even with the dash out and glove box torn out it's a chore to get that lock out since it's locked to the glove box door. I'll give it another go when I find some more patience or someone with lock picking skills can tell us the method they used.

Okay, thanks for the tip.  It’s is apparent a PO tried to pry the box open from the top to no avail. After removing the screws I didn’t try running a long driver in the gap but will see if it is possible .  There has got to be other 5at have had this problem. The only other option is to drill out the lock and get a new one later.  You never know there might be a stack of cash in the glovebox ?.....good to dream. 

55 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

SledZ, that interior looks like it the windows were left open when Mount St. Helens erupted in the 80’s. Where was this car?  

That's a good guess. There were quite a few vehicles that ended up looking like that. My first guess was thick muddy floodwaters.