IGNORED

Need small amt. of black firewall insulator material

M3333hp

Wanted:

a small amount of the original black firewall insulator material for restoration of a January 1970 car.

Does anyone have some small pieces of *original* black firewall insulator material that mounts against the firewall inside the passenger compartment? ---see the photo below

I need it for a restoration I am doing, and I want to retain the original firewall insulator that came in my car, but I need some small pieces of the material to fill a couple of voids in my insulator.

I need about 10 to 15 square inches of the insulator material, but if anyone has a bit more than that it would be welcome. A piece that’s 3 X 5 inches would work.

I do not need the jute material that’s glued to the back side of the insulator. I just need the stiff black insulator material.

I will pay for the material and the shipping, which I think could be easily done by sandwiching the piece(s) between cardboard and mailing in a manila envelope.

Below is a photo of the textured material that I need to match the insulator material in my car.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know there has been discussion here of the firewall insulator before, and I don‘t want to redo that discussion, so……..

I want to retain my original insulator because

1) the aftermarket insulators are made of different materials than the original

2) the aftermarket insulators I have seen have a different pattern of holes and cutouts compared to the insulator in my car.

Thanks!

Pete

IMG_3909.JPG

CanTechZ,

Thanks a lot for finding this bit of firewall material. I think I can use it and make it work for me even if it's slightly different. I just have a few pretty small spots to fill in.

If you could get me a piece that's about 5 X 8 inches that would work, or 2 pieces that add up to 5 X 8, total.

If you can find some that's fairly flat that would be best. If not that's OK, I can heat it up a little and put some weight on it to flatten. 

I don't need the soft padding (foam?) on the back, if you can get it off fairly easily.

You could sandwich it between 2 pieces of cardboard and put it in an envelope and that would work.

I'd like to send you some $$ for the postage....let me know.

I'm on Vancouver Island. Can you contact me at: cain@uwo.ca for my address?

If you are ever on the Island you would be welcome to visit my garage. LOTS of things that are different about the very early cars.

Cheers,

Pete

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...