IGNORED

Possible trip to Japan (Tokyo) - Suggestions?

Mike

Hi guys,

It looks like the wife and I will likely be heading to Japan in early 2019.  Do you guys have any suggestions on what (or who) to see?  I'm thinking the Nissan Heritage Museum will be a good stop.  Was also considering a visit with some local contacts while I am there - @kats and/or Shoji over at Starroad.  There will also be other things too (eating and visiting local temples, etc.. )  Anyway, do you guys have any other ideas?  Zcar and non-zcar related are welcome.   Thank you!

Mike

351530-2.jpg

• Like 1

Great!  It will be a fun trip.  We are looking at visiting Tokyo and possibly taking the trains to visit other cities during the journey.  Kats tells me that Kyoto is very good.  I've already been to both Tokyo and Osaka in the past, but, this time we will be doing some sightseeing.  Not sure if Tokyo Disney is an option (or even worth the hassle) but we are definitely open for other ideas.  I would really like to see Mt Fuji from the ground.  We flew over it on our way to China earlier this year and it's an amazing mountain!

IMG_8138.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not sure what it takes to get in but the Heritage museum would be fantastic.  Tokyo tower, touristy things around Roppongi, Shibuya, Shinjuku.  Nissans HQ is downtown too.  Two days in Kyoto to see temples would be a recommendation, maybe a day in Nikko.

• 4 months later...

Haven't updated this in awhile.  But, our trip to Japan is coming soon and we can't wait!  I'll be meeting with Kats and taking a look at his Z432.  Not sure if we have time for a hike up Fuji, but, we will be staying near the mountain for a few nights.  It will be a long two weeks, but, we plan to fly into Tokyo and head SW to Kyoto for a few nights.

I'll be sure to get some pics with Kats (and his car) to share on the site!  

Mike

• Like 3

For Kyoto, I can heartily recommend the MK Taxis tour service: https://www.mktaxi-japan.com/

I've been to Kyoto many times, but a few years ago a friend sent a group of four of us on a day-long tour with an MK driver (waiting patiently for us while we explored each venue, and while we had lunch/tea breaks) and it was certainly the best way to cover a whole lot of bases without rushing. It might sound cheesy, and normally I'd prefer to make my own way around, but our driver knew just how to handle it and made it a great day. Best day I've had in Kyoto, and my Japanese in-laws agreed.

I would recommend a boat ride on the Hozugawa river too. If the timing is right you might even be able to see the Geiko entertaining their guests on the Gion tea house balconies, which you can't see from the street side...   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 240260280 said:

Maybe try visiting Fuji Speedway: http://www.fsw.tv/en/index.html

Oooo!  Nice idea.  We are planning to stay a few days in Hakone, which looks to be very close.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

Mount Akina!

Is that a real place?  Couldn't find it on Google Maps.

4 hours ago, HS30-H said:

For Kyoto, I can heartily recommend the MK Taxis tour service: https://www.mktaxi-japan.com/

I've been to Kyoto many times, but a few years ago a friend sent a group of four of us on a day-long tour with an MK driver (waiting patiently for us while we explored each venue, and while we had lunch/tea breaks) and it was certainly the best way to cover a whole lot of bases without rushing. It might sound cheesy, and normally I'd prefer to make my own way around, but our driver knew just how to handle it and made it a great day. Best day I've had in Kyoto, and my Japanese in-laws agreed.

I would recommend a boat ride on the Hozugawa river too. If the timing is right you might even be able to see the Geiko entertaining their guests on the Gion tea house balconies, which you can't see from the street side...   

Great ideas..  I'll definitely look at the MK Taxi tour.  We will have 2-3 days in Kyoto.  The boat ride also looks awesome.

Thanks for the ideas, guys!