IGNORED

Electrical Fuel Pump Pressure Problems

Yellow78

1 minute ago, Yellow78 said:

That’s the same pump that I got from a different vendor on Amazon and only get 26PSI. AirTech unit does not say how much PSI or GPH.

It's out there, hard to find.  Rockauto has the specs I think.  Your old pump is broken.  It's not meeting its specifications.  A new pump very likely will.  

Just trying to help.  Go ahead and get one of those high volume pumps.  You'll know when it's spinning, for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

L”.

THE NEW Fuel System

1. Brand new in-line AIRTECH fuel pump.

2. Brand new rubble lines 3/8” from tank AIRTECH PUMP.

3. Brand new rubber 5”/15” fuel lines to AIRTECH fuel pump.

4. Brand new rubber 5”/15” fuel lines fuel filter.

5.Brand new rubber 5”/15” fuel lines to Brand new PELLERT rail.

6 Brand new rubber 5”/15” fuel lines out PELLERT rail.

7. Brand new rubber 5”/15” fuel lines out to a FUEl REGULATE;

8. Brand new rubber 5”/15” fuel lines in of FUEl REGULATE;

PELLERT.

9. Brand new rubber 5”/15” fuel lines out of FUEl REGULATE;

Again thanks for all you HELP

Image1542004800.502741.jpgImage1542004814.416299.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Don't know if this will serve as a silver bullet for your problem but should serve as a silver bit of knowledge for all 75-78 Z owners. The following is my experience/ observation after more than 48 years as a Datsun/Nissan mechanic. At the end of the pick up tube inside the fuel tank of the cars in question is a filter. It is a can shaped metal appendage about 2 inches wide and about 2.5 inches high and is perforated. I have a couple of these filters at my shop but am off today otherwise I would have a picture available. Over time these perforations become calcified restricting the flow of fuel to the pump. I have trained my local Gas-Tank -Renu franchise to cut a large hole in the top of the tank to gain access to the filter and remove it. I'll add more info to this post at a later time but my girlfriend is telling me it's time to get ready for the New Year's plunge. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, zspert said:

Don't know if this will serve as a silver bullet for your problem but should serve as a silver bit of knowledge for all 75-78 Z owners. The following is my experience/ observation after more than 48 years as a Datsun/Nissan mechanic. At the end of the pick up tube inside the fuel tank of the cars in question is a filter. It is a can shaped metal appendage about 2 inches wide and about 2.5 inches high and is perforated. I have a couple of these filters at my shop but am off today otherwise I would have a picture available. Over time these perforations become calcified restricting the flow of fuel to the pump. I have trained my local Gas-Tank -Renu franchise to cut a large hole in the top of the tank to gain access to the filter and remove it. I'll add more info to this post at a later time but my girlfriend is telling me it's time to get ready for the New Year's plunge. 

that is exactly what my gas tank renu franchise guy did, cut hole in top of tank, remove filter.

But zspert, if the pick up tube filter is removed won't I be allowing dirt and other nasty bits to get to my injectors? When our Zs were new they were used almost exclusively as daily drivers but now some 40 years later they lead rather pampered lives as well kept fun cars. I don't know about my readers but my Z is driven about 500 miles per year and kept under a cover in a garage the rest of the time. Also, because my fuel tank went through the Gas Tank Renu process I know with confidence that it began its new life under absolutely the best of conditions. Furthermore, I make it a point to replace my fuel filter every other driving season. No, dirt and other nasty bits in my fuel are just about the last thing I'm concerned about. However, there is an important issue about removing the pick up tube filter that must be considered.  The pick up tube absolutely must extend to the bottom of the tank. If it doesn't, and this applies to cars of every color, you may find yourself experiencing an out of gas situation when there are still a couple gallons of gas in the tank. In my next installment I'll go on and on about the main difference between the 240/260 and 280 tanks. Please stay tuned.

• Like 3

My renu guy told me he re positioned the pickup tube to get it closer to the bottom (after removing the pickup tube filter). I also run a prefilter to keep the larger chunks out of the pump. This is a purpose designed pre filter for use in front of the pump. I had a G-3 fram but was scolded for using bad advise (not the right filter for a pre filter). I did experience some noise with the old filter, None now with the current setup. The only bad side effect is if the tank is low, like 3 gallons or less, a hard left turn will cause it to stumble for a few seconds. I presume its getting some air in the pickup. I have the low fuel light come on when its about 14 gallons low, I have put in as much as 16 gallons, fuel gauge was indicating right on E at that point.