IGNORED

triple Webers linkage ( or convert to throttle linkage ? )

hwyix

I recently purchased a 240z with triple Webers. 

The other day when I went to start the car I stepped on the gas pedal a few times to prime it.  The pedal stayed stuck to floor.  Upon investigation looks like the P.O. did a homemade job to shorten the linkage for the Webers.

The brass coupler in the picture with the red arrow is no longer working. If they where not dissimilar metals I would be tempted to just have it welded.

Can I buy the correct size throttle linkage for this?

Or I was thinking of converting to a throttle cable. Looking for recommendations on a kit for that.  

linkage-markup.jpg

Edited by hwyix
gramar

My first option would be to remove the brass sleeve and butt weld the ends together. It seems likely that a short piece of round bar may be needed to fill an unseen gap. Second choice would be drill and tap the sleeve on both ends. I'd probably put four holes in it. Drill deep enough to dimple the linkage shaft, tap the holes and secure it with set-screws.

7 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I wonder if that shaft is binding in the mounts because it is so short?

I am not sure if I fully understand your question.  It does not appear to be too short or binding. From the best I can tell the car probably had twin carbs which means that shaft was longer as reached farther away. They purchased tripple carbs, now the shaft is too long. I am guessing the kit did not include the needed shorter shaft so they shorten it.

I was wondering what does everyone else do who who has tripple webbers/mikuni do ?

It's got a good bit of angle to it and it seems like the hook could bind because of that. The longer linkage shaft wouldn't be as susceptible to binding. The offset distance is the same long shaft or short shaft but the angle is worse on the short shaft.

17 hours ago, Patcon said:

It's got a good bit of angle to it and it seems like the hook could bind because of that. The longer linkage shaft wouldn't be as susceptible to binding. The offset distance is the same long shaft or short shaft but the angle is worse on the short shaft.

I see. Now that you mention it I could see that.

14 hours ago, Lumens said:

Each manifold used is a little different than others. My Mikuni manifold uses the full length stock arm.

Thanks for confirming that for me.

I am going to see if I can buy stock linkage arm and have it modify correctly.

Looks like an adapter was installed on the firewall. Perhaps to line linkage up. Mine is at an angle (not ideal) and need to come up with something like that.

I have extra a shortened link like that I made as an experiment. You can have it if I can find it.