IGNORED

Putting SU Carbs on L28 EFI

Just fitted SU's to my 77 280z. 

carbs.jpg

Figure 1.

Some notes:

1. The 77 shepherd's hook rod fits the early SU balance tube with no modifications (See Figure 2). The later SU balance tube has the connection point closer to the firewall so the shepherd's hook rod may need to be shortened.

2. The firewall rotation point on the 280z is closer to the drivers side by 21.5mm.  For the rod to align properly with the SU manifold, it needs to be moved inboard by 21.5mm (See Figure 3).  After carefully using a dowel to find the new rotation point on the firewall and drilling a hole for the bracket, I noticed the bracket has a third hole in the middle. By using this hole, you can attach the bracket to the firewall (using one of the original holes) in a near perfect location.  A second hole can then be drilled through the firewall to attach the bracket securely.  A nut-sert needs to be used for the new bolt hole as the firewall is thin....or a nut can be attached on the back (if you remove the dash and heater assembly).

relocate2.jpg

Figure 2.

relocate.jpg

Figure 3.

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 1

I may be following you again with this. You and Rossi. I hate to lose/ waste $500  of new efi parts though but nothing like the scream of SUs.

If that guy had only followed through with that "hell fire" programable ECU but crickets on that. 8^(

Edited by siteunseen

10 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I may be following you again with this. You and Rossi. I hate to lose/ waste $500  of new efi parts though but nothing like the scream of SUs.

If that guy had only followed through with that "hell fire" programable ECU but crickets on that. 8^(

Hell Fire - he’s got my AFM too ! 

Also get a preprogrammed MS Cliff. Though looking at all I have to do to get this 77 to run again- SU’s look easier , but it’s not my car. And I don’t ever see me going back with carbs again . Though this swap is a lot easier then going EFI on a carb only head :0

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

240260280, this is my exact issue with the alignment to my Mikuni set up that I would like to solve on my 240Z.

I swapped my linkage to the 280Z style because the 280Z has the ball and socket at the fire wall. I thought that may work smoother.

It has been working fine but I sure would like to align it straight on as you did.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I stated above I found the same issue as Phillip when I went from SU's to Mikuni. Well I was looking thru some spare parts and found another linkage I thought was the same. 

But looking at it closer I see the fire wall bracket is different.  It is made offset and it brings the alignment back to the way it was before. Installed and took photos.

No new holes need to be drilled. Just need to clean up and paint. I have no clue what it came from. 280ZX maybe?

20181023_144710.jpg

20181023_144657.jpg

• Like 1