Holy $^!# I bought a turd - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Holy $^!# I bought a turd

Featured Replies

so I bought the jcr 240 and have buyers remorse... bought a turd... so with my only mechanical knowledge being with motorcycles I'm a little lost. seems alot has been ripped out of this car in regards to emissions. If anyone would be so kind as to start rattling off things that are wrong. and what's with the tie wire? 

20180915_130738.jpg

20180915_130730.jpg

20180915_130724.jpg

Too much information!  Try to boil it down even more.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author
48 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Too much information!  Try to boil it down even more.

well where the tie wire on the throttle linkage opens the front carb. how would it normally be held? is my valve cover vent in the proper location?

crank case vent is just open right now

 

  • Author
50 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Does it run?

yes it runs. I need to replace the muffler so I can hear what's going on but it makes a high pitch noise at higher rpm I think is the water pump. it also seems to run a tad rich in low rpms and lean in the upper.

From what I recall I think there was emission control with the one tab that has been wired shut. It’s not a bud deal than being ugly. Most I’ve seen just flop around. 

I was being ironic.

Looks like somebody hacked some stuff together, for some reason.  Your valve cover hose would normally run to the air filter box, which is missing.  Did they put some sort of "cold air intake" at the end of the intake tubes?

Take more broad view pictures.  We'll zoom in.

Download the FSM and you'll find pictures like this one.

image.png

How is the battery secured in the battery tray?  Looks a little loose.

Also, what's the little tube, or rod, protruding from the cap top of oil level dipstick in the front carb?

Dennis

Interesting car. I love the ingenuity of the previous owner.

I'm SO going out and making an intake just like that one! I bet there is a cone air filter out front of the rad but yes, show us more pictures! I will not use exhaust tubing or crush bends however.. Wait, I don't have a Z at the moment.... oh well.

It's missing the heat shield which is why the carb return springs don't have a place to connect at the bottom, so what was done is what you see to make them a place to mount.

The PCV valve should be connected to the open block vent. The valve cover connects to the missing air cleaner housing as mentioned. 

Take heart. If it runs and stops you've got something to work with.

I suppose I can offer an air cleaner housing and heat shield so you can get that thing looking and working a bit more 'right" under that hood. 

Edited by zKars

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.