IGNORED

Tempted on removing, cleaning and reinstalling hitachi original distributor on my 240z

jalexquijano

4 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I might be wrong about his problem though.  In that picture I expected to see the locking screw.  Maybe the 240's have it on the other side, and adjustment marks on the side I see.

Should be where the red arrow points.

image.png

I dont know what you are talking about regarding the bolts that fasten the distributor. Already found the gaskets. Pleasr advice which bolts shall i remove to inspect the distributor and in which position shall it be installed so the car engine cranks again.

20180916_183033.jpg

20180916_182927.jpg

20180916_182641.jpg

20180916_182541.jpg

20180916_183146.jpg

4 hours ago, Zed Head said:

However you look at it, he does have a new different problem that he should fix.  If his distributor is not locked own, his timing is going to walk eventually.

Beside that, this a proper, separate, thread.  Nobody has to get involved if they don't want to.  Just saying, it's his own hole, let him dig.

I was not trying to be insulting but Jalex's mechanic support is pretty non existent it seems. So I would hate to see him break it when he seems to finally have it running well.

18 minutes ago, jalexquijano said:

I dont know what you are talking about regarding the bolts that fasten the distributor. Already found the gaskets. Pleasr advice which bolts shall i remove to inspect the distributor and in which position shall it be installed so the car engine cranks again.

20180916_182541.jpg

In this picture you can see all 3 of the 4 bolts that can be removed to remove the distributor. There are the two 10mm in the bottom aluminum piece. One you can see, one on the reverse side you can't see.

There is the single bolt I believe 8mm that threads upward through the plate with the degree markings on it. The last bolt is on the rear side of the distributor. 10 mm and threads down, sometimes it will have a nut on the bottom if it's been stripped. The bottom aluminum part can be removed and reinstalled with out affecting the timing. The other two bolts hold the distributor from moving and changing the timing.

What do the seals look like?

18 minutes ago, Patcon said:

In this picture you can see all 3 of the 4 bolts that can be removed to remove the distributor. There are the two 10mm in the bottom aluminum piece. One you can see, one on the reverse side you can't see.

There is the single bolt I believe 8mm that threads upward through the plate with the degree markings on it. The last bolt is on the rear side of the distributor. 10 mm and threads down, sometimes it will have a nut on the bottom if it's been stripped. The bottom aluminum part can be removed and reinstalled with out affecting the timing. The other two bolts hold the distributor from moving and changing the timing.

What do the seals look like?

Thanks Patcon. These are the seals i want to replace. What would be your approach?

650-245-Distributor-Kit.jpg

Zed head is correct.

The O ring is between the distributor and the metal plate with the markings. Make sure you put it back with the pointer in the same place on the markings. That way your timing will be the same.

The pedestal is the aluminum part at the bottom of the distributor that is held in with the two 10mm bolts. The paper gasket goes under there

21 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Note where the lines are in the spot with the red arrow.  That's what they are for. 

Remove the circled bolt.  Pull the distributor out.  The o-ring will be right there.

Then remove the two bolts that hold the pedestal.  The gasket will be there.

image.png

This means the distributor can be pulled out just by removing the 8mm bolt you have circled and the engine will only crank if i install the distributor i  the exact position as it is marked?

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:31 PM, Zed Head said:

Note where the lines are in the spot with the red arrow.  That's what they are for. 

Remove the circled bolt.  Pull the distributor out.  The o-ring will be right there.

Then remove the two bolts that hold the pedestal.  The gasket will be there.

image.png

I found this video on YouTube but it refers to removing a distributor on a 280z. I guess it should be the same procedure. Now i will need to buy a rubber hammer and some high temperature silicone so the gasket binds perfectly to the metal.