IGNORED

Tempted on removing, cleaning and reinstalling hitachi original distributor on my 240z

jalexquijano

The other day i found some spare gaskets and ring that are supposed to be installed before the distributor is inserted in the key shaft. However, i remember that last time i did that i had to call a mechanic because when i installed the distributor back the engine did not crank.

https://zcardepot.com/distributor-installation-kit-gasket-hardware-240z-260z-280z.html

Is this so complicated? I thought it was a simple plug and play procedure?

It is plug and play but not quite simple. Even if you drop the dist. back in and it aligns with the tang on the oil pump drive shaft, the base has to be in the exact location (rotation wise) to ensure the ignition timing is the same as before, assuming it was correct before. It's a good idea to check the ignition timing anytime the dist. has been removed and replaced.

18 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

It is plug and play but not quite simple. Even if you drop the dist. back in and it aligns with the tang on the oil pump drive shaft, the base has to be in the exact location (rotation wise) to ensure the ignition timing is the same as before, assuming it was correct before. It's a good idea to check the ignition timing anytime the dist. has been removed and replaced.

How do i assure it is in the exact time before cracking the engine? Last time i removed it i couldnt crank the engine but after several attempts i could only hear an explosion so i had to call the mechanic.

4 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

How do i assure it is in the exact time before cracking the engine? Last time i removed it i couldnt crank the engine but after several attempts i could only hear an explosion so i had to call the mechanic.

Make sure the triggering mechanisms are in the same place before and after the swap.  In this case you'd have to know how the electronic trigger works compared to the points trigger.  It's a bit more than plug and play, more like like plug, fiddle around, examine and adjust, then play.

On 9/11/2018 at 2:10 PM, jalexquijano said:

The other day i found some spare gaskets and ring that are supposed to be installed before the distributor is inserted in the key shaft. However, i remember that last time i did that i had to call a mechanic because when i installed the distributor back the engine did not crank.

https://zcardepot.com/distributor-installation-kit-gasket-hardware-240z-260z-280z.html

Is this so complicated? I thought it was a simple plug and play procedure?

I misread your first post.  I thought you were replacing your electronic distributor with an old points distributor.  Now I see that you're just removing the distributor, cleaning it, and putting it right back in.  The same distributor.

It should be very simple as long as you mark the adjustment setting before you remove it, so that you can set it to the same timing.  Mark the mount and the distributor and match them up on reinstall.

And yes, they do only install one way.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

Just took some pics of the original hitachi single point distributor before i attempt any removal, inspection of gasket and reinstallation. Dont notice any oil leaks but would like to be sure it has the o ring and base gasket in place. Please guide me on the removal and reinstallation process. Last time i did this the engine did not start.

20180915_234100.jpg

20180915_234050.jpg

20180915_234202.jpg

20180915_234147.jpg