IGNORED

What are the facts about 280z ECU compatibility and differences

Av8ferg

I can check the other bank, but I am pretty sure they are working, I can get it to idle fine (no missing) IF I manually deflect the AFM vane about 20 degrees. Once I open the throttle up, it runs normally (no manual deflection of the AFM required), so the problem seems to be isolated to low throttle or idle. I know the TPS is working since the other ECU works fine in the test stand. I maybe wrong on "runs normally at high throttle though, I did not run it very long that way, and as soon as I let off the throttle it backfired and blew the AFM completely off the throttle body.

18 hours ago, Zed Head said:

The Kent Moore Analyzer manual has more info that might help understanding.  There might be a pdf file on the site but in the meantime there's this web site, broken down by single pages.  - http://datsunforum.com/efi-troubleshooting-kent-moore-j25400-analyzer/

I've got a kent-moore j25400 analyzer, does anyone know how a j25400-36 extension looks like or has one? i've got 2! j25400-13 extensions.. one i can sell or trade for a j25400-36 (that i could use for my 1979 280zx s130)  (Maybe i can convert a j25400-13 into a j25400-36?)

It's not neccessary but nice to have such equipment.

Very interesting topic. I have a 1/75 280z  with CPU PN  A11-000 050 which doesn't show up on the Federal or CA models chart. My car was a CA car from the beginning and has a  M/T. 

I have two additional CPU's  I grabbed several years ago when gong through wrecking yards. I don't remember what years they came out of, but here's the curious thing. Both of the CPU's work perfectly in my car. That is the car starts and runs just as good as the OEM BOSCH CPU . Just thought I would add to mix.

Ron

75-CPU.jpg

2-cpu's.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

While circumstance has slowed meaningful progress with my current dilemma of electrical dysfunction chronicled in "Party Tricks", I have had opportunity to nose around for potential solution candidates in the archives. I remembered, and found, this most interesting ECU thread from earlier this year.

While I cannot provide dialog on the level of the expertise herein, I would offer a tidbit of anecdotal evidence that might shed some small light on a seemingly unresolved issue of brief discussion.

The Orig.Owner of my (early) '77 280 apparently had some fuel feed issues (that I believe prompted them to sell the car in the end) within the first three years from new, that resulted in 5 new injectors and, I believe, a new ECU.

The interesting part is that this replacement ECU for my CA-only Manual Trans model, that I have been running on since 1980, is an A11-601, "intended" for an Auto Trans. As the number (26) and deployment of populated pins seems to correspond with those shown in my FSM ( c.r. 1976, version unknown) which includes AT functions, I would conclude that any AT functional provisions are nonplussed by disuse; up until recently (maybe), it has worked without flaw.

One might well conclude that the same goes for CA-only and Fed functions as well, implying a design philosophy of "if you don't rattle its cage with input, it won't growl at you".

On the other hand, I would speculate that one can't run a 600 in an AT car, assuming there was some reason to distinguish between the two (600 and 601) in the first place. I presume that the difference between the two was related to the time-frame of conception for each. Still, one wonders then, why the 601 didn't simply supersede the 600 in all cars...

Not earth-shaking, but interesting.

Or not.

• 1 year later...

Didn't mean to dig up an old thread but I want to share this with anyone who is curious if their ecu will work. I just picked up a A11-000-000 ecu which according to the sheet is a 1975 automatic California ecu. I placed it into a 1977 manual California ecu car with model A11-601-000. Car started fine and had no problems. Even though the ecu is 1975 and an automatic, it started and revved to 3k no problem. Haven't driven it yet but I can make an update if needed

IMG_20220331_173302.jpg

IMG_20220331_174535.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, kyle146 said:

Didn't mean to dig up an old thread but I want to share this with anyone who is curious if their ecu will work. I just picked up a A11-000-000 ecu which according to the sheet is a 1975 automatic California ecu. I placed it into a 1977 manual California ecu car with model A11-601-000. Car started fine and had no problems. Even though the ecu is 1975 and an automatic, it started and revved to 3k no problem. Haven't driven it yet but I can make an update if needed

IMG_20220331_173302.jpg

IMG_20220331_174535.jpg

Also i just noticed that my ecu that ive had with the car ever since is an auto ecu. It's definitely not a swapped manual Z judging by the serial number not having an A meaning auto. Probably a replacement ecu back in the day