IGNORED

California 1978 Datsun 280z Restomod

Kevin McSweeney

Not entirely sure what to do with the ball joints and steering knuckle. They look in ok shape, so considering just giving them a quick clean up before putting everything back together. Any thoughts?  They're not expensive so is it worth replacing since everything's apart anyway?

DSC01796.JPG

DSC01797.JPG

7 hours ago, Kevin McSweeney said:

Ready for new bushings tomorrow and hopefully get the front end reinstalled over the weekend.

It looks like the powder coating got on the inside surface where the bushing goes, if you are using a hydraulic press to set the bushing then it probably won't be a problem, if you are doing it manually with a vice then you might want to scrape the coating off. It is a very tight fit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

Looks great. But whatever process you're using to install new bushings, I think you should get the coating out of the bushing holes first. Even if you're using a hydraulic press.

I've already taken the coating out of this area. Bushings are being pressed right now.

Also got my new engine mount insulators bolted up, and for some reason I felt compelled to use some more of the foam I used on the fuel tank straps on the jacking point of the cross member. I guess in my head it's going to stay in this condition ?

DSC01811.JPG

DSC01810.JPG

DSC01812.JPG

DSC01813.JPG

Edited by Kevin McSweeney

11 hours ago, Kevin McSweeney said:

I felt compelled to use some more of the foam on the jacking point of the cross member.

Haha! I got no problem with that! As good as it looks, try to keep it that way!

Piece of wood between the jack and the foam pad and it'll last for a little while.

Edited by Captain Obvious

Took a Sunday drive down PCH to pick up a second L28 - N42/N42 today. Plan is to build this into a 200hp+ NA motor in parallel with the build and in 12-18 months to upgrade to Megasquirt and drop this motor in.

Most of the accessories (alternator, AC compressor, clutch fan, valve cover, flywheel, fuel rail, exhaust manifold, etc.) will be coming up for sale so if anybody needs anything let me know.

DSC01814.JPG

DSC01815.JPG

DSC01816.JPG

DSC01818.JPG

DSC01820.JPG

Edited by Kevin McSweeney
  • Like 1