IGNORED

Strut Cartridges Stuck (Rusted In?) Strut Housing

I need your advice regarding my '72 240Z.  Can't get either of my front end strut inserts out of their strut housing after I removed the gland nut. They should just slip out. They do not.  Perhaps they are rusted in?  I've saturated them in penetrant, heated the housings with a propane torch, tapped the housings with a hammer, and of course pulled on 'em like crazy.  Got any ideas for me, please?  

I’ve never used Muratic acid for that purpose, but it eats rust off of nuts and bolts completely in 3 minutes. It also eats it cleanly from the surface inside gas tanks. I would fill the strut with acid (won’t take much) and let it sit for 3 to 5 minutes. Rinse out with water, then see if it eats the rust and allows it fall out. Wear goggles of course. Let us know if it works. Home Depot has Muratic acid for $10.00 a gallon.

If you try that be aware that the byproduct of the reaction is hydrogen gas, and heat will be produced.  In the small gap around the strut insert and tube there could be enough pressure to start spewing acid from the tube.  And muriatic acid is a strong one it will burn you quickly.  Don't do this work in a closed space and have a hose handy to dilute any that gets on you.  Wear goggles.

Not saying it's a bad idea, but apple cider vinegar will have a similar effect, just much slower and safer.

Also, since you're using inserts you could drill a hole in the bottom of the tube to get more penetrant or rust eater in.

Diseazed and Zed Head,

Thank you. I'll try vinegar first and if no success I may try muriatic acid. Really appreciate the cautions and video! 

Was hoping someone could provide a mechanical solution to pulling these cartridges out?   

Pretty sure I've read about trucks, chains, and trees.  Maybe a story about a come-along (hand held cable winch) and two trees.

You didn't say much about what "pulled on 'em like crazy" means.  Maybe just get crazier.

• Like 1

Zed Head,

I like the come along approach and will try to figure a plan to do that.  No suitable trees on my suburban place. 

(I did  rule out using a chain on the housing and a chain on the strut cartridge  and two tractors going in opposite directions.)  

Anybody else used a mechanical approach on this particular problem? 

I had one once that I couldn't get out. I chained to the nut on the top of the strut with some washers and wrapped a tow strap or chain around the bottom of the strut tube. Come-a-long from the strut to a tree and cranked down on it. I gave up when I was worried I was going to pop the cable. It was a part that I shipped to someone else so I gave up on it. If you don't have trees, heavy trucks or tractors will do. I would try to pull it out first. If that doesn't work then I would try something to break the rust down. like others have said, then pull it again

I couldn't find a picture of it so you'll have to use your imagination a little.

I drilled a 1/2" hole through a 2x4.  With the Gland not off, I Inserted the the top of the strut through the hole and put a big washer and nut on to secure it.  Then I suspended the strut and housing off the ground between the corner of my workbench.  Sawhorses or something sturdy would work also.  Added oil or PB Blaster (I don't remember exactly) down the strut housing and started tapping/hitting with a hammer and a block on top edge of the strut housing where the gland nut threads, careful not to mangle or distort the threads. You can also hit around the bottom of the housing also. I found that using Vibration and the weight of the strut housing worked in my favor.

• 2 years later...

Writing to close this thread, at least from my perspective. I'm rebuilding my '72 Z after decades of waiting to do so. Could not successfully remove my LF strut from its strut housing using the brute pulling force produced by a chain, come -a-long and two trees. Later I tried a daily application of muriatic acid at the top of the strut housing to free the strut.  Did this for over a month. The strut did eventually come out but the muriatic acid had destroyed the gland nut threads of the strut housing rendering it useless. The strut had solidly rusted into the strut housing. Found another strut housing on eBay.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, I am fighting a strut insert now.  Just like all the post above, this thing is putting up a fight.  I've done everything but chain it to a tree and car bumper or drill a hole in the bottom to pound it out.  This could be worse than the spindle pin!