IGNORED

California Fires

psdenno

We've all heard  Z headlight nacelles referred to as "Sugar Scoops" due to their unique shape and similarity to a large commercial sugar scoop..  I think mine qualify as "Ash Trays" in light of the ash fallout from the local forest fire over recent days.  It looked like it was snowing, but the temperature was 122º and the flakes were ashes from the nearby blaze.

Dennis

Ash1.jpg

Ash2.jpg

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Patcon said:

That's no good. Be safe...

The fire has burned over 13,000 acres and is now about 90% contained.  We were downwind for a few days and got a lot of ash even though the fire was several miles away.  Not as bad as the fires in Northern California, but still a loss for people in the community that burned.  All safe and good here, just ashy.

Dennis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

Wow. That's no fun.

I'm assuming you personally aren't at high risk where you are? Not much to burn in the desert?

Actually, more to burn than you might imagine.  I live at the base of an 11,000 foot mountain which is covered with combustibles and with lots of farmland surrounding the base.  The fire was/is higher on the mountain.  It's been about 30 years since a big fire made it down the mountain to the edge of Palm Springs. 

Folks who evacuated from this fire are returning home.  Many buildings burned and a total power outage still so lots of spoiled food for those who left.

Dennis

One fire almost out, now another one spreading. The South Bay is a long way from the fires, so I wasn't sure why my eyes were burning all day. Worse today than yesterday.

Around sundown I could see the dirty brown / orange haze in the sky and knew why. There are fires every year, but this year seems worse. Been using a lot of eye drops.

• Sad 1