IGNORED

remove tranny requires engine removal on 73 240?

hls3073z

26 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Yes, you'd want the 3.9 R200 if you don't want to work the clutch until you get the other parts.

Don't overlook the opportunity to do clutch maintenance.  Overall, the clutch, transmission, and rear end work are simple, just big parts to work with.

No problem there.  The whole reason the engine came out was that I was replacing the clutch, (the problem was actually fatigued springs in the pressure plate).  The exhaust had to come out and 2 studs twisted off on the header so we decided to pull the engine to get those studs replaced.  So, yes, now is the time to do everything I ever thought about.  Everything is mostly  original, it has about 200K miles on that clutch.  For the moment the focus is on stopping rust that has started in the engine bay.  Any recommendations on paint for that?   Sand to bare metal then  rustoleum for primer and then  PPG one step for the engine bay is the plan.  The PPG guys looked up 918 and sure enough, Mexican Orange, they can do it.

2 minutes ago, hls3073z said:

rustoleum for primer

NOOOO!!! :tapemouth: Talk to the PPG guys. Ask them for what to buy and how to do it. It is also best to stay with PPG products start to finish to avoid incompatibility issues. Be very careful and use a good respirator with these cars paints. They can hurt you in permanent ways if you get careless. You can also go to the PPG website was you have product and get the "P" sheets (technical product instructions) which will provide a lot of the details for how to use the product, grit to finish at, spray tip, pot life, etc.

Ask all questions, there are a number of members here who have DIY paint experience. Ask first before you muck something up or waste expensive products. Some one will try to help I am sure

thanks Charles,

I wondered about that.  I was quite surprised when I talked to the ppg guys that they said rustoleum "no problem".  They seemed too laid back.  At least they talked to me.  When I called Sherwin Williams they said sorry don't talk to consumers and besides that car is too old for our system.  I need to go post a question in the  body paint section of the forum.  I'm just anxious to stop that rust.