IGNORED

'71 240Z on eBay with its Original Paint?

lonetreesteve

It does look like it was gone over a buffer and buffing compound. That can quickly cut through the top oxidized surface.

It really could be the original paint. You can usually find evidence of overspray some where, but I really did not see any.

1 hour ago, Lumens said:

It does look like it was gone over a buffer and buffing compound. That can quickly cut through the top oxidized surface.

It really could be the original paint. You can usually find evidence of overspray some where, but I really did not see any.

My signature photos below show a good before and after cut and buff of the original single stage paint.

The one on the left is the before, then the right one is after.  Made a huge difference in person, the pictures don't show the difference that well.

I removed all my emblems before the work was done and he taped off the rocker stripes.  Charged about $200 IIRC. 

9 hours ago, JSM said:

That was a joke, more on the LFA. 

Sorry, Jeff. I was reading your comment on my phone last night and I thought you were talking about the subject '71 240Z , as the picture of the beautiful white sports car did not load on my phone for some reason. I see the joke, now!

I requested more pics and received them. I have no reason to believe that this is not the original paint. A survivor such as this is semi-rare, but the truth of the matter is it will need to be restored and restoration is very expensive. With the current price of restored examples it would be hard to justify paying the 20K with the cost of a full restoration being added to the investment. Members seem to be shocked with some of the prices, but as I have stated in the past until the restored examples of Series 1 and Series 2 cars are bring substantially more it is impossible to pay 20K for a survivor needing a complete restoration. Just my opinion and I am sure there will be many more to follow this post. 

3 hours ago, JLPurcell said:

I requested more pics and received them. I have no reason to believe that this is not the original paint. A survivor such as this is semi-rare, but the truth of the matter is it will need to be restored and restoration is very expensive. With the current price of restored examples it would be hard to justify paying the 20K with the cost of a full restoration being added to the investment. Members seem to be shocked with some of the prices, but as I have stated in the past until the restored examples of Series 1 and Series 2 cars are bring substantially more it is impossible to pay 20K for a survivor needing a complete restoration. Just my opinion and I am sure there will be many more to follow this post. 

I would keep the original paint and thoroughly clean the car inside and out. I would then have a pro adjust the passenger door/ right front fender fit issues, remove the glue from the black 240Z stripes on both side, have paintless dent repair done, buff-out the paint, replace the front bumper and hood emblem with good used ones.

Series I and II 240Zs with original paint are just too hard to find and that is the very reason that the seller is asking $20k or best offer for the car. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lonetreesteve said:

I would keep the original paint and thoroughly clean the car inside and out. I would then have a pro adjust the passenger door/ right front fender fit issues, remove the glue from the black 240Z stripes on both side, have paintless dent repair done, buff-out the paint, replace the front bumper and hood emblem with good used ones.

Series I and II 240Zs with original paint are just too hard to find and that is the very reason that the seller is asking $20k or best offer for the car. 

Interesting perspective, but it will be hard to stop the deterioration. Just the two photos sent to me show that the battery tray is half rusted away and the bottom of the doors are in need of attention. If this were a solid survivor I would agree with your take on original paint survivors. I believe that it would be fair to equate the two photos to the common rust problems with the Z and assume those areas are in need of attention as well.  

IMG_7215.JPG

IMG_7909.JPG

8 minutes ago, JLPurcell said:

Interesting perspective, but it will be hard to stop the deterioration. Just the two photos sent to me show that the battery tray is half rusted away and the bottom of the doors are in need of attention. If this were a solid survivor I would agree with your take on original paint survivors. I believe that it would be fair to equate the two photos to the common rust problems with the Z and assume those areas are in need of attention as well.  

Thanks for posting the 2 pictures, Jerry. You make a good point about this car, it may have its original paint, but it's not a solid survivor and the multiple rust issues have to be addressed. It's a shame about the issues, but it is still a good candidate for a full restoration.

• Like 1