IGNORED

SU Hitachi 2.0mm Needle Valve Assembly

Stock Hitachi Needle Valve Assembly:

Hitachi SU Needle Valves.jpg

needle.jpg

assembled.jpg

fitted.jpg

To set the preliminary fuel level, blow in the inlet and rotate the float.   Adjust the tab by bending so that the valve shuts (can't blow) when the float beam is parallel to the lid.

float angle.jpg

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Are those the early 4 screws? They look like it.

You are correct.  These carbs are 4 screw but with fuel bowl drains so I guess late 70 or 71.  I thought it was neat to see original needle valves.  Here is an aftermarket with a rubber tip:

noname.jpg

Edited by 240260280

• 2 months later...

Are both of them longer or just one?  My '72 had longer pin arms? on the front carb and the OE valves had one long one for the front and a shorter on the rear.

If they are not a whole lot longer I would think you could use them and adjust the float as you said.  As long as the float doesn't hit the walls of the float chambers you'd be good, I think. ?

Here's a picture of a pair with the two different lengths I bought.  If I remember right the valves came from Black Dragon, according to the guy I bought them from.

float distance.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2018 at 11:39 AM, siteunseen said:

Are both of them longer or just one?  My '72 had longer pin arms? on the front carb and the OE valves had one long one for the front and a shorter on the rear.

If they are not a whole lot longer I would think you could use them and adjust the float as you said.  As long as the float doesn't hit the walls of the float chambers you'd be good, I think. ?

Here's a picture of a pair with the two different lengths I bought.  If I remember right the valves came from Black Dragon, according to the guy I bought them from.

float distance.png

yup, the front ears is longer than the rear. I have to check my needle bodies, I believe I installed both of the same size. 

6 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Seeing how the '72 float adjustment thread went on forever a month or so ago Mr Potholez and I went with private messaging.  Much easier to stay focused. LOL

I just thought about a solution that @madkaw did with his front ears so they'd match the rears.  He drilled the pinholes higher to match the rear lid and as I remember, it worked great for him.  Fortunately I had a spare set and run two rear lids on my current SUs, no drilling.  It pretty much turned them into the earlier style 4 screw SUs.

@hatepotholez

• Like 1

• 1 month later...