IGNORED

Rust Advice 78 280z

gotham22

Close enough. 78 FSM says .20 intake, and .25 exhaust. Both cold.

The interesting thing (for me) would be to try to figure out why yours are adjusted so tight. Was it a mistake by the last person who was in there, or has something moved and closed up the gap over the last bunch of miles? Unless the adjuster lock nuts are loose or something, it'll probably be impossible to determine, but I'd spend some small amount of time trying.

Sounds to me to still have some excessive valve lash, and maybe some others.  Getting the valve lash right will quiet it down somewhat so the rest can be sorted.

Adjusting them is difficult because once you have it perfect, you have to tighten down everything and the clearances change.

Once you think you have it set, you need to rotate the crank and check them again.  Also, the firmness of the slip of the feeler gauge is pretty important.  How do you describe tight or loose or just right?  When you get it just right, you'll know bc your motor will purr.

Edited by ETI4K

Some more info and pics.  I have an exhaust leak as I see smoke.  I cant tell if it is from the exhaust down pipe connection or possible the connection that leads to the EGR. Not sure if this is a separate issue.  

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Exhaust leaks can make a ticking sound. And the injectors are supposed to click. So between all that and the solid lifters going clickety-click, I can't tell if the noises on the video are a big deal or not.

I suggest look into fixing the exhaust leak(s). Rule that out and then go from there.

51 minutes ago, gotham22 said:

if it is ticking then it needs to be tighter, correct?  

No. On solid lifters, if they aren't making noise, you've got a problem. You may run into a situation where there is something wrong which causes the ticking to become abnormally loud, but there should always be ticking from solid lifters.

Thanks, Captain.  I replaced the injectors so it is possible these are louder.  The engine definitely sounds better now that the I re-adjusted the valves.  I will have to do it while it is hot next.  I think, as you said, next step is to fix exhaust leak.  Thanks for the help.  Without this forum I would never be at this point and so close

12 hours ago, gotham22 said:

if it is ticking then it needs to be tighter, correct?  

The valve train is going to be noisy, so listening for valves that are too loose or too tight isn’t a good way to evaluate the clearances.

If you set the valve clearance correctly the feeler gage will have a light drag as it is pulled through. I use go-no go feeler gages, which take the guesswork out of the process.

That noise still sounds pretty solid.  Like objects with large mass.  I'm changing my guess to rod bearing.  Or not.  Can't really tell.  

Your videos are at idle.  What happens if you rev the engine?

Edited by Zed Head