Jump to content

grannyknot

Just what the Doctor ordered. 1977 280z

Recommended Posts

On 6/7/2018 at 5:34 PM, grannyknot said:

So this spare tire is pretty much dedicated to have a can of compressed gas to fill it up, what is everybody using? The original can has something sloshing around inside but I sure wouldn't want to depend on it.

 

I have a mini 12v compressor with the spare.  Test inflated it 3 or 4 years ago,  seemed fine for emergency's,  but one day will probably go the Captain's route.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoa. I got a serious case of diagram envy. That thing is beautiful!

I guess now is not the time I should bring up all the mistakes I found recently, huh?     :tapemouth:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2018 at 6:34 PM, grannyknot said:

So this spare tire is pretty much dedicated to have a can of compressed gas to fill it up, what is everybody using? The original can has something sloshing around inside but I sure wouldn't want to depend on it.

 

 

I still carry an original spare, but just for nostalgia really.  I also carry a 12volt compressor with a tire plug kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, S30Driver said:

I have a mini 12v compressor with the spare.  Test inflated it 3 or 4 years ago,  seemed fine for emergency's,  but one day will probably go the Captain's route.

 

5 hours ago, gwri8 said:

I still carry an original spare, but just for nostalgia really.  I also carry a 12volt compressor with a tire plug kit.

Great idea, thanks that problem is solved.

8 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Whoa. I got a serious case of diagram envy. That thing is beautiful!

Lots of hard work went into it and I'm grateful to be able to have access to it.  One thing I noticed,  it doesn't give fuse ratings or fusible link ratings, how can you find out the proper fuse for a circuit without the math? My fuse cover is missing.

8 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I guess now is not the time I should bring up all the mistakes I found recently, huh?     :tapemouth:

It can't be any worst than this Prospero diagram for the early 240's, I stopped counting all the mistakes on this thing.

IMG_0738.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's one I printed out for my 78 on a plotter I was working on a while back. Its a work of art, but at 10' long, its too big to fit on any wall.

IMG_20170915_112611358.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just kidding about the errors on the Rev M. I think I turned up something minor recently, but it was so inconsequential that I don't even remember what it was. I have no significant issues currently. Only thing I would warn you about is the position of the fusible links. What is shown on the diagram is NOT the correct physical location of the links under the hood. This is the correct positioning:
correct%20positioning.JPG

And for the fuse values, here's a couple pics. This is the 77 cover (which BTW is a little different than 76):
77cover1.jpg

And here's a snipped from the FSM showing the artist's rendering. The fuse values are the same, but the printing is a little different:
77cover1a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jeremy93ls said:

Here's one I printed out for my 78 on a plotter I was working on a while back. Its a work of art, but at 10' long, its too big to fit on any wall.

IMG_20170915_112611358.jpg

Walls in my shop are 30' long. I got plenty of room. Is there a colorized 240z diagram like this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Capt., where does one buy fusible links, are they sold by wire size or colour?

The connector caps for the fuel injectors are working but in rough condition so I was going buy new ones and splice them in but @240260280 suggested going to the wreckers and look for Audi/VW. I got enough to change every connector on the car for $10.  Passat's had all the right stuff.

 

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an aside, remind me sometime to tell you a story about the fusible links and why they are a ticking time bomb. Post up all my measurements and investigation and stuff.

But in the meantime, back on topic... I found the cheapest place to get all the links at the same time was off ebay. The ones I bought were purported to be genuine Nissan, and did all four links.

You need the 77-78 version, and it should have three red (which are actually brown), and one larger black one. I did a quick look on ebay, and it seems they are still plentiful. A couple item numbers that seem to be the correct set:

323288133774
312138092640
223006930529

Or search for "Datsun Fusible".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and I used VW connectors on my injectors as well, but I used a different version with end release clips instead of the one single side release. I found I liked them much better for the injectors, but I liked the side release in the other locations better. I used to have a pic posted, but photobucket extorted it out of existence. I'll get a new pic loaded up when I get a chance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2018 at 9:31 AM, 240260280 said:

I may have a few kicking around.

@240260280 Philip, after an electrical mishap I think I'm in need of your fuse blocks as well to replace the fusible links on my '78 280Z. Could we arrange that please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, grannyknot said:

The connector caps for the fuel injectors are working but in rough condition so I was going buy new ones and splice them in but @240260280 suggested going to the wreckers and look for Audi/VW. I got enough to change every connector on the car for $10.  Passat's had all the right stuff.

IMG_0740.JPG

That is a very nice set of connectors.  Proper spacing and everything.  You might consider using a male and female connector (Weatherpack is popular, I think) at the end that you cut so that you can just remove all six as an assembly whenever needed.  Much easier than splicing all six separately.  Looks like it was made for it.

http://www.whiteproducts.com/connectors.shtml

Edited by Zed Head
Put my words in the wrong spot.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good idea ZH but I had them spliced in by the time I read your post.

Getting some surface finishing done, console was lightly sanded with 240 grit a 2 coats of SEM Landau black,

IMG_0757.JPG

All of the bumper rubber looks pretty sad, can't tell if a PO painted them at some point or that is just age but sanded all the rubber with 240 grit them burnished with the 3M Grey scuff pads then a couple of coats of Auto Glim tire dressing,

IMG_0760.JPGIMG_0761.JPGIMG_0763.JPGIMG_0764.JPG

This is a spare valve cover that will go on the 280z, wet blasted, a coat of GIBBS oil.

IMG_0767.JPG

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2018 at 10:27 PM, Captain Obvious said:

I ditched the inflat-o-matic spare for an always inflated donut spare a while ago. Details are here, but pics are dead because photobucket sucks:
https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/55424-always-inflated-mini-donut-spare-for-7778/

The 77 and later cars are tough because of the reduced tire well diameter. The summary is I'm running a T115/70/14 space saver tire on an old 4 inch wide rim from a Datsun Roadster. That's the largest rubber I could get into the spare tire well on the 77.

Let me know if you want me to reload the pics and I can do that when I get the chance.

Would you measure the height of the tire from the ground? I’m curious if this would fit the tire well in my 300zx. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I measured the overall height at about 21.5 inches (+/- .25 inch for parallax error). I uploaded a couple pics.

Measuring the height:
P1130559.JPG

Here it is snug as a bug in the back of my 77:
P1060512.JPG

And (as embarrassing as it is...) here's a pic of it on the car when I did a short test run to make sure it actually worked:
P1060523.JPG

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a great car you found. Very good condition, just a little dirty and dusty. Should be an easy resto for you time around.

77 model, its before august 77 anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EuroDat said:

Looks like a great car you found. Very good condition, just a little dirty and dusty. Should be an easy resto for you time around.

77 model, its before august 77 anyway.

Thanks Chas,  no major problems yet, it's a nice change. Before Aug. 77, that's good to know, PO removed the B pillar ID plate for painting and lost it.  As far as I know there is no way to replicate it, Banzai Motorworks only produces the door tags up to /73.

You know the car was built before Aug. because of some detail you are seeing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An early 77',  till June I believe, had a sloped rear deck.  A late 77' had a flat rear deck like all the other Z's.  I had a June 77' parts car and it had a flat deck, that's what I'm basing off of.

Edited by gwri8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, The rear deck and your fuel pressue regulator valve FPR is early model. Both changed in july 1977. I started a thread on these differences over the years, but there is somethinv wrong with it and it opens all wierd and photo's all ovef the place.

I will start a new one and post all I have on that one.

Im on my tablet so don't have many photo's, but here are the two fpr's

Early (before August) has two inlets and one outlet with 90 degree bend.

Late (August 1977 onwards) has one inlet and one outlet with 90 degree bend

The dates with these changes are not hard just like the 240Z changes. They seemed to change a lot of little things in the July / August period.

20180623_163852.jpg

Edited by EuroDat
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EuroDat said:

Yep, The rear deck and your fuel pressue regulator valve FPR is early model. Both changed in july 1977. I started a thread on these differences over the years, but there is somethinv wrong with it and it opens all wierd and photo's all ovef the place.

I will start a new one and post all I have on that one.

Im on my tablet so don't have many photo's, but here are the two fpr's

Early (before August) has two inlets and one outlet with 90 degree bend.

Late (August 1977 onwards) has one inlet and one outlet with 90 degree bend

The dates with these changes are not hard just like the 240Z changes. They seemed to change a lot of little things in the July / August period.

20180623_163852.jpg

Is this it?  

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got into the Brake Master, booster and proportioning valves today, hope you are not eating while reading this, pretty sure I'm the first one to remove the brake master.

IMG_0769.JPGIMG_0770.JPGIMG_0774.JPG

Inside the proportioning valve, how does this crap get in a sealed system?

IMG_0786.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.