IGNORED

Sanden ac compressor on a 280zx mount

So I have been working on this for a while. 

For reference I have a series 1 with dealer installed AC. It’s a giant York compressor shoved above the smog pump. It was in the way of everything. So hard to work around. I decided it had to go. 

Most of the sanden ac brackets are steel and don’t use an idler. I really like the idea of an idler to tension. I also love the 280zx aluminum ac bracket. 

My original plan was a 280zx compressor. But they are pretty speedy. 

So I ditched the whole idea and started the concept to adapt a sanden ac compressor with a v pulley. I had a buddy fabricate some new brackets and boom. Everything lines up. 

I vapor blasted the mount, got the pulley zinc’d and same with the hardware. Plus the rest is powder coated black and a new bearing. Then got a sanden off eBay for like 100$. It was supposed to be zinc’d but came powder coated. Oh well. Should bolt right up. 

I will reuse all my lines but one. Which got too close to exhaust. The rest are still in great shape. Hopefully it work!

A few of the pictures have the idler bolt installed wrong. I have since fixed it. 

31AFDD51-7C8E-4660-8747-13CE07AAC86C.jpeg

2761BE46-208A-4783-8D9E-DECA1BB2EDB1.jpeg

2654369F-C97A-41A6-AC0E-9344AB172FEA.jpeg

6C54FA85-9106-41C7-BDDE-E6968FB386CE.jpeg

4AEAF126-8478-4A2A-AA61-2227728336FA.jpeg

9C78E66E-6DF2-4384-B91E-3953AFC1B1A4.jpeg

8DB8DCD4-A54E-4202-B027-EA5783BF1726.jpeg

F65D8A51-8E27-4969-9310-C46463970254.jpeg

909CF48B-6477-4B03-A800-88E6C6E94C19.jpeg

B99CB7B8-9775-473A-A6B1-526595ADA41F.jpeg

2D305F59-DBEF-4573-9C3A-978BD23CFC72.jpeg

EA350099-4C18-4DC4-AA80-20EEAB8151D2.png

28CCB668-924D-45DA-8846-74B943F6D498.jpeg

You guys must be HVAC techs.  I plan on all new hoses at some point.  My ac worked and the oil was still new with no burnt smell.  I think I will just hook it up and see.  Then this winter do everything new.  

Does anyone know if I need to change my crank pulley out?  I didn't check if the smog pulley was the same V as my ac?  

1 hour ago, duffymahoney said:

You guys must be HVAC techs.  I plan on all new hoses at some point.  My ac worked and the oil was still new with no burnt smell.  I think I will just hook it up and see.  Then this winter do everything new.  

Does anyone know if I need to change my crank pulley out?  I didn't check if the smog pulley was the same V as my ac?  

You are likely to trash the system if you just hook it up. It needs a vacuum pulled and it needs to be dry. It would be a shame to tear up a bunch of new parts for no reason

34 minutes ago, Patcon said:

You are likely to trash the system if you just hook it up. It needs a vacuum pulled and it needs to be dry. It would be a shame to tear up a bunch of new parts for no reason

I will do a vacuum and then fill it.  It only has one new part that is breakable.  That's the 100$ ebay sanden compressor.  It will have 40$ in gas which I care more about.  

pop for the drier, it gets the remaining moisture out. Also if it was R-12 it would have mineral oil in the system, not compatible with R-134a and the pag oil that prob was in the new compressor.

IF there is any doubt about the oil that was in it, you should flush all the lines, condenser, and evap to get it out. you will need to add oil to the system as well, the compressor prob only had a couple oz in it, not enough if you flush all the rest out.

Edited by Dave WM

I ended up buying a dryer. I believe this is as close to the original as possible.

Four Seasons 33280 Filter Drier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CSYQXW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_i6acBb9G2MYNT

The bracket needed some machining, then some spacers and a bolt on bracket. Not too much work. I was going to design a full new bracket with an auto idler but decided the Zx bracket was so close might as well adapt it. Plus side if the compressor dies I can always buy another 75$-150 one. 

I am adding a/c to my '72 and just starting the process. I too looked at Ebay for the Sanden 508 compressor and noticed that most, if not all, of the compressors were "Sanden style"...meaning knockoff's.  I don't think you are going to get a real Sanden 508 for much less than $199.

Your bracket setup looks good, but I decided to just make a bracket from steel plate and the Sanden universal bracket arms that Vintage Air sells.

I believe the Sanden will run R-12, but if you go R134a, you need to flush the system and the oils will not mix and the mineral oil will pool at the low spots and reduce efficiency.  Others have covered this well.

Also, might be worth upsizing the condenser if space permits as R134 is not as efficient as R12 in shedding latent heat, so you need all the condenser you can get.  Installing an electric pusher in front of the condenser will help as well.

Just because you open the system does not mean you need to change the drier (but you should if changing refrigerants).  Pulling a vacuum on the system will boil the moisture out unless the ambient temp is really low.  Long vacuum periods will ensure all the moisture is pulled out.

I am 100% sure my sanden is some sort of chinese knockoff, but got great reviews! So I am hopeful.  

All new compressors should be made to run R134, since r-12 is liquid gold, I did ask the seller along with what type of oil is in it.  I am borrowing a flush kit and a vacuum.  I talked with multi shops/ pros, all said to run my condenser and see how it is.  If it's not enough cooling, then swap it. I got some new hoses as well.