IGNORED

Annoying noise!

rcb280z

On my 77 280 that was fitted with a ZX five speed in 1992 has now developed a rattle in the stick shift. Like a metal on metal sound. It is an 81 IIRC.  My receipt has faded and I can't tell for sure. But I'm pretty sure it is an 81. Trying to recall a single junk yard purchase that long ago, well.....  Anyway, normally you would replace the 2 shift pin bushings and that would take care of it. Not this time. When I drive it the rattle is REALLY noticeable in the forward 3 gears, 1st, 3rd, and 5th. Most noticeable in 3rd. If I rest my hand on the stick shift it almost goes completely away. Instead of only replacing the 2 bushings I had purchased a kit containing the 3 bushings, pin, and "E" clip and installed them. 

Going to remove the center console AGAIN and see what I can find. Any ideas of what it could be? And if someone could post a pic of a ZX 5 speed break down for that particular location I would appreciate it. 

I had something very similar a few years back, I tried everything including rebuilding the transmission, a year and a half later I tracked it down to the stick shift knob, there was just enough room between the threads of the shifter and the insert in the knob that it would vibrate at speed and sound like a ringing, A couple of turns of plumbers teflon tape fixed it. I spent a lot of money and lost a lot of hair figuring that one out,    hope it works for you.

• Haha 1

Okay so I pulled the center console and removed the shift boot and tunnel cover. Saw that I put the pin in backwards. Reversed it and looked around, saw nothing that looked out of the ordinary. Took it for a drive and no noise. Couldn't be that simple. Put it back together, took it for another drive and the noise is STILL there. I have no idea what it could be. The shifter is tight, no slop of any kind. Nothing comes in contact with the shifter, under console, that I can see. It is coming from the shifter for sure. All I have to do is apply very light pressure and it goes away. Maybe with the oil on the shift boot there is something internally going wrong? See pic. Any ideas?

boot.jpg

boot2.jpg