IGNORED

Free radiator what should I get?

NMcKe97

14 hours ago, Patcon said:

Just remember there are no free lunches. It takes horsepower to turn that alternator. The more power you need the more HP it takes...

Technically the greater the AMP's, the greater the number of winding's in the alternator and the higher cost of manufacture. The resistance of the commutator is negligible and should not cost "more HP" to turn. The magnetic interference on a newer style alternator should actually be a HP "win" in the long run. I plan on running a modern 3 wire 10SI GM style alternator in my resto-mod. 100+ AMP style...

The bottom line is the draw from the car. A stock configuration won't consume that much power at all, however if you add a big sound system and speakers, electronic niceties like power steering, power windows, hi power lighting.... you will need the modern higher amp alternator. Losing 1-2 HP for that is worth it.

• Like 1