IGNORED

High Tone Horn Not Working

Hardway

17 hours ago, Zup said:

Jeff,

Regarding rebuilding your horns--

When I rebuilt mine the gaskets weren't available. I put them back together without the gaskets and they work and sound as original.

Look up seller nikkibid1972 on ebay. He makes a reproduction restoration kit that includes the die-cut gaskets and correct new nuts, bolts and washers. I have bought a couple of sets. Nice kit.

Rob does not have a listing for these currently. 

If you contact him with your request to purchase a set I think he will eventually put together  another round of them for sale.

Zup

Rob totally hooked me up.  I reached out to him just as you suggested and he posted a kit for me.  See link below.  I think I may still buy some Hella Sharptones and paint them since I will have to deal with Austin traffic when I take the car out.  I will restore the original horns and have them for safe keeping.  Looking forward to getting the kit!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Datsun-240Z-260Z-Roadster-Horn-Rebuild-Screw-Gasket-Kit/152768263718?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

• 2 months later...
On 1/28/2020 at 10:19 AM, Mark Maras said:

My guess is low voltage to the horns. Check the voltage at the horns and the horn circuit in the fuse block. There's probably a poor electrical connection in between those two components.

How do you check this relay to verify its still good?

Use a voltmeter. Black wire to ground and the red wire to the relay connection that goes to the horns. Have a friend push the horn button. The reading should be the voltage going to the horns. Did you measure the voltage at each horn connection? That would tell you if there's a difference in voltage to each horn. If the voltage is the same the problem is in the horn.