IGNORED

L series engine oil dipsticks

Randalla

OK, now this is getting interesting jerz. The engine the P6500 dipstick came out of is an L-28 with F54 block and dished pistons. It had been freshly re-built by a well known local engine builder. When I got  the engine it had a P79 head, leading me to believe it did in fact  come out of a 280ZX. If that's true, then your information on the P6500 dipstick is probably correct. I measured the  dipstick tubes on both my engines. The one on the L-24 is exactly 3" long. The one on the L-28 is 3 1/8." The difference in the two dipsticks, to show full, is 1/4." At this point, I'll be swapping the L-24 dipstick out, and the L-28 one back in. Tomorrow I will carefully measure how much oil it takes to raise the oil level in the engine by 1/4" on the P6500 dipstick to determine how much difference it might make running an incorrect dipstick. I'll let you know what I learn.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Randalla said:

OK, now this is getting interesting jerz. The engine the P6500 dipstick came out of is an L-28 with F54 block and dished pistons. It had been freshly re-built by a well known local engine builder. When I got  the engine it had a P79 head, leading me to believe it did in fact  come out of a 280ZX. If that's true, then your information on the P6500 dipstick is probably correct. I measured the  dipstick tubes on both my engines. The one on the L-24 is exactly 3" long. The one on the L-28 is 3 1/8." The difference in the two dipsticks, to show full, is 1/4." At this point, I'll be swapping the L-24 dipstick out, and the L-28 one back in. Tomorrow I will carefully measure how much oil it takes to raise the oil level in the engine by 1/4" on the P6500 dipstick to determine how much difference it might make running an incorrect dipstick. I'll let you know what I learn.

Science Marches On!

1902_vs_1969.jpg

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2017 at 6:55 PM, zKars said:

How about a difference in the receiver tube length that is mounted in the block? Might this account for the apparent different dip stick lengths?

i can hardly wait to get home and peruse my dip stick collection. Why I have a dipstick collection is another question with no answer. ..

That's the most likely answer. My E-Fast is down right now so there are a couple of things I can't check right now. 

Edit: Ok. So I just did a side by side comparison of the E3002 Dipstick ( Z ) and the P6502 dipstick ( ZX )

I measured from the rubber shoulder seat to the high mark on each dipstick. The high matk is what you should be comparing. NOT the overall length. The E3002 measures 7.375 "  to the high mark. The P6502 measures 7.00 " to the high mark. What that means overall.... not a hell of a lot IMHO.

F54 block on my car, so P6502 is definately correct

Also considering that I ordered a new 11140-E3002 dipstick, and it was superseded to a 11140-P6502 ( This is in Canada ) .

Edited by Chickenman

• 4 weeks later...

Ok Guys I have a 77 Skyline kenmeri with 280ZX F54 block but we used the original oil pan from the L24 engine  to make the engine fit on the cross member. I am missing the dipstick for the L24 oil pan. Can somebody help me get a dipstick or a part # for that 77 Skyline 240K GT L24 engine?

Thank You guys in advance.

• 3 months later...

well been going over this post in another thread maybe some new info here if anybody can help . I have 1 1983 f54 block and using  a new oil dipstick 11140-p6502 . the dip stick measures 7" from the high mark to the rubber stop on the dip stick .I am only able to but in 4.25 qts of oil to reach the high mark so any suggestions?