IGNORED

260Z dream car

v12horse

What a fun and memorable day it was, thanks for letting me tag along! It's definitely reignited some Z-passion and makes me want to do some actual work to the Z again. I was very impressed by your vision for the car and how it's changed other people's thoughts for how to do a Z "right". I'm looking forward to some cruises in the coming weeks to stretch her legs a bit!

Thanks Leon.  It was great to have you there and I look forward to taking drives with you and your beautiful car.  Its pretty awesome that we live around the corner from each other and have very similar cars (understanding wife's, and little kids:)).  In regards to working on your car all you need to do is install that steering wheel you have been hoarding.  Other than that your Z is spot on.  I took my car for a drive last night after work and it is consuming.  It is so much car being something I am getting reacquainted with.  From the time I had it the car was very original in all ways.  Now it looks quasi stock, but it is whole other machine.  I am not sure if I am sick, but my ears have a faint ring to them still.  The exhaust note is not even that loud.  

Today I am on the hunt for an all-weather car cover.  I park in a carport, but the backend is exposed and the car gathers dust quickly.  Do any of you guys have a recommendation for a good car cover? 

-Ben

Edited by v12horse

FIND SOME WAY TO COVER THE BACK END OF THE CARPORT. Cheers BTW :beer:. As you already know these cars do not like exposure to the elements for prolonged periods of time. You will see bubbles in the finish on the hatch within a year. Car covers of all types hold a little moisture underneath. The only hope you have is good rust protection from the inside and anywhere else you can put it in underneath. The panels come off rather easily from the inside so a good interior inspection is worth a Saturday afternoon, if you haven't already done so. Keep it as dry as possible with bi-yearly inspections underneath and all the seams. Be sure to keep the windshield cowl drains clear and unobstructed to avoid bubbles on the lower inside front fender section just behind the front wheels. Keep the rubber cover installed, the one just out of view behind the front wheel and at the front bottom of the door. It keeps dirt and debris from being throw up inside the valance beneath the doors. No exposed metal to rust out and be an issue before you realize it. Get a good seal on that seam around the rear wheel arches. If you took out the piece that acts as an extended piece of the passenger rear wheel arch just in front of the fuel filler neck, put it back if possible and retain tire clearance. It also acts as a blocking device to keep the floor on that side from being sandblasted raw. I actually fitted and installed a piece for the drivers side for mine although the muffler tends to do a fair amount of debris blocking on that side. Make sure the inside point at which the rear bumper bracket connects to the inside bodywork is not beginning to be compromised by nature. Do as much to maintain the integrity of the chassis as the mechanics. As a matter of fact the chassis needs to have a close look kept on it especially if driven regularly. As far as letting the bottom of the car touch anything.......TRY TO AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. That is generally the first step to rust starting underneath. Nice pic with the new addition to the family BTW. Thumbs up to the Misses for understanding. We should all be so lucky. Enjoy it and take care of it. HAPPINESS....Isn't just around the corner.....HAPPINESS IS THE CORNER!