IGNORED

260Z dream car

v12horse

Esmit you sure have that right and I am a mix of emotions.  In one instance I am extremely excited about the car taking shape and I look forward to the car being back in my garage.  I'll be able to hear that glorious inline six, grip that Compe handle,  and be able to take it for a drive at will, but there is a bittersweet aspect to this part of the car's restoration coming to an end.  I enjoy talking with Rob on a regular basis about the  progress and the fine tuning of the details.  The car really is in the final stages of assembly.  The suspension is all in, the brakes are installed, and he is planning to have the engine running by the end of this week!  We went with rebuilt OEM brakes front and rear, but with the stainless steel lines and the slotted rotors for added stopping power.  I was happy about this because if I had went with bigger brakes I would have needed to get bigger wheels.  The 14" Watanabe's have been on the car for over a decade and the size and offset are in my eyes perfect.   

Externally I am trying to do everything I can to make the car as period correct as possible.  I have been attentive to everything from the thickness of the sidewalls to the plating and paint finishes to make the car appear to have been rolling around during the 1970's.  I am not exactly sure why I am so persnickety about the details, but being a dentist I look at things to the tenth of a millimeter.  My 260Z will not be perfect in condition, but I am trying to get the details right. IE., factory stickers, the finish of the exhaust canister, the use of wire hose clamps, and a multitude of other bits of minutia that are strangely important.    

I recognize how lucky I am to own this 260Z, to have hung onto it for over 17 years, and to now be making it into the car I envisioned.  My concept for the car came about after the 2004 National Z Convention in Los Angeles.  I am not going to discuss this anymore as I want to be able to refer to the car when its done.  Even after the car comes back it is still going to need paint one day, carpets, the radio, refinishing of the bumpers, emblems, etc.  The car is never going to be quite complete and that's just fine.  It is a rolling restoration, but having gone through ALL of the mechanical components is most important to me. 

I have written such long winded posts and all that I can come up with is that I'm complicated.  I am a thinker and sometimes an over-thinker.   One of my mentors once told me that I will go far as long as I don't think myself into circles.  I'm not sure about the far part, but the things that stick in our brains can be odd.  He might not even remember what he had said, but that sentence is cemented into my mind almost defining how I make decisions in all aspects of my life.  What is my capacity to do things that matter?  

Ever since having an inkling of maturity I have battled with what I want versus what I need.  My 260Z began as just my college car; a way for me to get around.  It was as important as any car; just a mode.  It quickly morphed into something bigger and almost unobtainable even though it was parked outside my dorm hall.  The car kept me up at night and my grades suffered.  It had less to do with the car and more to do with my last minute tendencies to cram.  I eventually figured out how to become a better student when I identified that my future depended on my present self.  I hit a mental wall and I gave myself an ultimatum.  I was in summer school for doing terrible in organic chemistry, but the second time I aced it.  I cracked the code and I was studying around the clock as if it was my job.  The car took me to where I needed and I would do 'research' or browse the pages of a Nostalgic Hero magazine in small chunks and then it was back to my studies. 

I was about to write on how I have a long way to go in life and that I have not 'made it.'  That is such rubbish as I recognize that I am more fortunate than I can even comprehend.  The fact that I can look at things so unimportant as the fine details of car restoration and in some strange way feed my passion to build a 'proper' car is fact that I am doing well.  I am really sorry that I am throwing all of this on a car related forum, but somehow its related to this car and the project it has become.  

I told Rob when I dropped the car off prior to any of the work that these cars mean nothing and everything at the same time.  I talk with my Dad multiple times a week and cars are always a topic we can relate to.  Every lunch hour my buddy and I are on the phone miles away from each other discussing cars, the market, drives, and restoration.  Just because I am 'building a car' doesn't make me a bigger enthusiast than I was before.  To have an enthusiast car is not some ticket to becoming a 'carguy'.  We are the enthusiasts and it is through the men and women that have a passion for these machines that make the car scene.  At the end of the day, cars really are about people and in that sense it is humble pursuit.  I may have gone a little wild with this car, but it is the price of solidifying it in my life for years(decades) to come.  

Thanks everyone for the enthusiasm.  This is to be continued...

Sincerely,

Ben

Edited by v12horse

The exhaust system I went with is the new Fujitsubo legalis R.  It was so hard for me to paint the rear muffler as the polished unit looked so good, but I really wanted the car to appear as vintage as possible.  I scoured Japanese magazines and I found a few photos to show my mechanic what I was going for.  Rob told me that he would have never done this, but after he did he likes the exhaust even more.  My only concern with the exhaust is the length of the tips as the car is an early 260z and the bumpers do overhang more than on a 240z.  I hope they are not too far sunken beneath the bumper.  Here are the photos I took from a few Nostalgic Hero magazines of Z432's with the original Nissan twin pipe system for reference.

The car is going to be finished in one to two weeks.  :unsure:

Ben

IMG_7012.JPG

IMG_7013.JPG

• Like 2

Here is a video I just received from Rob.  The engine is running!  My entire intention with the engine bay was for it to appear factory and this video shows that it is looking great!  I love all the zinc plating, the wire hose clamps, and the general vintage look.  The car is that much closer to being on the ground and in motion.  All I want to do is go on a long road trip, soak up the curves of a winding road, and take it through its paces on the track.  Those times are sparse though.  I am going to have to enjoy short jaunts to the store, the long way home after work, and a few early morning drives a month.

Sincerely,

Ben

IMG_9217.mov

Edited by v12horse

• 2 weeks later...

The car is complete!  My car is the 305 blue 260Z in the sea of 240z's.  The mechanic is putting some miles on the car and tweaking what needs to be done.  It is in the  testing phase.  I still have not seen the car, but what I have seen in photos; WOW!  It's in good company sitting next to Ms.  Butter's (Rob's personal 920 gold 240z) and my buddy Glenn's Fairlady 240ZL that is on the other side of my car on the lift.  This photo was sent to me and all I thought was that this is a 'dream garage.'  

I look forward to giving you guys more updates and a detailed review with photos of my 260z when it's back at home and terrorizing the streets!    

Ben

IMG_9392.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/9/2018 at 4:35 PM, v12horse said:

The car is complete!  My car is the 305 blue 260Z in the sea of 240z's.  The mechanic is putting some miles on the car and tweaking what needs to be done.  It is in the  testing phase.  I still have not seen the car, but what I have seen in photos; WOW!  It's in good company sitting next to Ms.  Butter's (Rob's personal 920 gold 240z) and my buddy Glenn's Fairlady 240ZL that is on the other side of my car on the lift.  This photo was sent to me and all I thought was that this is a 'dream garage.'  

I look forward to giving you guys more updates and a detailed review with photos of my 260z when it's back at home and terrorizing the streets!    

Ben

IMG_9392.jpg

The only thing that appears to be missing, or at least not in view, is the refigerator full of cold beer to toast a job well done. The lift is something we all could use. CHEERS!:beer:

My 260 is in the final stages of tuning and I'll be picking it up in three days.  This has been quite a ride and all I want to do is drive it until the sun goes down and comes up again only stopping for gas (and coffee).  There is going to be a number of these late night and early morning excursions when my family is asleep and the sun isn't around.  I hope I can get some other enthusiasts out during those times for a bit of company.  Everyone here will be the first to see photos of the car next week and I really hope for many of you to see the car for yourself.  I am a Zcarnut and with the help of my mechanic my 260 is a culmination of sorts for how I envisioned the car to be.  

Think of being in Japan during the 1970's and that is what I am trying to do with this car.  Everything from the exterior, to the engine bay, to the interior I have made to look as old as possible.  The suspension and engine internals are on the modern side making my car a bit 'tricky'.  It is not original and nor is it period correct.  My mechanic was the mastermind and I just encouraged him to make it look old/factory.   I am so proud of what Rob has been doing and I cannot wait to share it with this community.  

Yours Truly,

Ben

p.s.  Are those readouts on the seat for air/fuel ratio tuning?  It's so Fast and Furious style and I love the passion my mechanic and his team are putting into my little car.  

IMG_7208.JPG

V12

I can feel your anticipation. When is the last time you had a full nights sleepLOL! My is in the garage still and some nights it is difficult to sleep thinking of my next move. CONGRATULATIONS! Period correct is ok for those it really matters to, but for me having a daily reliable driver is more important and to have it be personalized for my taste. To see someone else's project come to fruition really inspires me as it should to anyone undertaking something like this. The many hours spent crawling around and spending an untold amount of $$$$$$ makes it priceless. Please enjoy the broken line rushing underneath your wheels and put the best lights in front of it since you seem to be planning to drive in low light or dark conditions. When you get a chance how about some video! :beer:

The AIR/FUEL ratios seem to be about where most others, (especially triple carb owners) are aiming for. A few dollars for some dyno time will be money and time well spent to dial in the tuning. 12 to 14 seems to be the window.

Edited by esmit208
Additional

I am still at a loss of words since I picked up the car yesterday.  My expectations were high and Rob exceeded them.  Amazing is all I can say.  I have a lot more to write and I will provide the details soon.  I still can't believe the car is my little old 260z that I got as a college loner over 15 years ago.  Now it is looking and running how it was intended to be.  I have so many people I want to thank, but for now I will leave you with a few photos.  

p.s.  Check out my son in the hatch area. :)

Ben <- This is one happy Z owner.

IMG_3969.JPG

IMG_7253.JPG

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_7248.JPG

Edited by v12horse
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, v12horse said:

I am still at a loss of words since I picked up the car yesterday.  My expectations were high and Rob exceeded them.  Amazing is all I can say.  I have a lot more to write and I will provide the details soon.  I still can't believe the car is my little old 260z that I got as a college loner over 15 years ago.  Now it is looking and running how it was intended to be.  I have so many people I want to thank, but for now I will leave you with a few photos.  

p.s.  Check out my son in the hatch area. :)

Ben <- This is one happy Z owner.

IMG_3969.JPG

IMG_7253.JPG

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_7248.JPG

Congrats Ben, that car looks fantastic!

Marty