IGNORED

Wanted: 240z (preferably modified) - Cash Waiting

Jay.

16 hours ago, Jay. said:

Is it worth just using normal sheet metal or opting to get some replacement panels instead? .. I guess it saves fabrication and bending, but also costs more. 

I fabricate everything I can. Donor sheet metal is the next choice. I've not had to buy replacement panels, The fitment of replacement panels seems to be a common problem.

On 10/07/2017 at 1:38 AM, rturbo 930 said:

Depends on the panel and what it needs. Rockers are okay. Floors seem to be good. Dog legs are okay. Rear lower quarters are awful, the compound curve at the rear corner is way off. Basically they're a mixed bag. Not necessarily better to get a panel vs patching and fabricating. Tabco makes most of the replacement panels and I wouldn't call them high quality.

Would tabco still be the best to go for? I've noticed quite a few companies offer panels, but tabco seems to be the biggest?.. 

On 10/07/2017 at 2:23 PM, wheee! said:

My thread has all the steps up to the POR for the floor boards. I haven't installed the sound mat yet. POR hardens with moisture but I don't anticipate any interior leaks.
Moisture will come from wet boots etc, but I don't anticipate any wet cold weather use for this car!
If anything gets through the floor mat, then the jute, then the butyl foam sound barrier, then the foil butyl sound mat, and THEN through the steel reinforced POR.... rust might happen. But I doubt it.

I'll have a read of that when it comes to it! I guess that's just part of owning an old car :)

On 10/07/2017 at 4:14 PM, Mark Maras said:

I fabricate everything I can. Donor sheet metal is the next choice. I've not had to buy replacement panels, The fitment of replacement panels seems to be a common problem.

Donor metals over here are rare, so I guess I'll look at fabricating some myself. If that fails then I'll try for some replacement parts. 

The money's been sent to the escrow, who will be conducting an inspection and then buying assuming it passes. Hoping that the car will be here in the next 6 weeks! 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I guess having some poorly fitting parts might be better than fabricating completely fresh. 

Hoping to have the car picked up by the end of next week, there's been some serious faff between the seller and the escrow company but that appears to be sorted out - seller wasn't happy letting the car go without funds cleared into his account but the escrow service wasn't happy to send funds without the car. Luckily that's all resolved! 

• 5 months later...
On 15/12/2017 at 12:49 AM, siteunseen said:

Thanks! Couldn't find this topic again? 

On 14/12/2017 at 4:28 AM, rturbo 930 said:

Surely the car has shown up by now, what kind of news do you have for us?

Some of the updates on the shipping can be found here:

http://zclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28384

And subsequent updates are here (will keep posting updates on here):

http://zclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28638