IGNORED

280zx 1979 2+2 slick roof restauration

dutchzcarguy

Thanks guys! 

zKars,

i have some reserves but with 7 contacts.. (AFM.)  .  For the "ECU " i have a later 280zx ecu.. but then.. i've never seen a dead one..

Also my orig from the car AFM has P6600  but i think the P7200 could work as well.   I'll thought about it but the shipping costs will be to high i think..

Mailnome,

Yes! thats it!  Thank you very much for the links! 

• 1 month later...

Cleaning up the engineroom was my last task on the 280zx, and it's slowly taking place.. I'm rarely in the garage to work on it.. my gas heater is broken down and with these natural gas prices..  I'm busy with electric heaters.. And for the time i have no solar collectors.. thats also expensive..(High electric bill.) As energy prices overhere also exploded we are all in the race for those solar collectors! And YES also made in Holland is an option!

So i'm more often seen behind my pc..pfff..  Also my energy level is a bit low these days..   

So i looked up my 240z and 280zx op Hagerty's and it seems that the 280zx is following the 240z's lines.. (I restored my 280zx just in time it seems!! :beer:  ) 

Datsun 240z 1971...

20211121_153407.jpg

Datsun 280zx..  Double the price in one year!!

20211121_151828.jpg

My 240z is not an "excellent" car but i have more than enough parts to make it that way already in storage for years..

I finally assembled the engine in October.. was to sick to do anything in November..

Here some pics of the result.

Still hanging upside down..

20211012_172748.jpg

Inlet plus injection..

20211019_212607.jpg

underside

20211014_144736.jpg

Taking out the old broken bolts with a good heatup by welding it... it was a easy job!

20211019_154030.jpg

New bolts installed with some red (very tight) lock-tite. And some new self locking nuts.

20211019_170418 (1).jpg

Assembled the under the hood light also..

20211030_151116.jpg

20211030_151212.jpg

At this time the engine is ready to go back into the engineroom, i have to clean that up first, paint the inner fenders and just give it a good clean for the rest of the parts, most are already done. As it is a daily driver it has a black anti rust bottom and i leave that as it is, also on the lower beams in the engineroom. (I took off a bit of it from a brakeline and... surprise surprise..  the olive green ORIGINAL Nissan brake line paint came out looking brand new!) 

Edited by dutchzcarguy
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I took a look at this topic of mine and saw that i left out some pics i have from the engine..

Here some pictures of a 280zx L28 engine with only 120,000km on it (74500 Miles!)

With some patience i managed to lay the chain on my vise and make a pic of it.. it's almost like a new chain after these km's.. i could put it back in and the  sprocket of the timing is still on the number 1 hole!

20211009_140841.jpg

Almost no wear on the chain-guide.. And YES these ones have gone back in the engine.. the rubber was very good, it was tough but very deformable! (I find that unbelievable! After 42! years!!) (i keep the new set for next time....)

20211012_135538.jpg

Haha.. the other end of the dipstick... you dipstick! 😉   (yeah a 240z on the background...)

20211012_165739.jpg

Some pics of the deck.. Nice cleaned out headbolt holes and a new headgasket on..

20211012_144618 (1).jpg

20211012_144634 (1).jpg

20211012_144638.jpg

Oilstrainer.

20211012_165749 (1).jpg

Edited by dutchzcarguy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey CO.. why the  at mike?    (just curious..)

Hi guys.. it's been a few month's and the only thing i did is buy a (expensive?) rattlecan of special etsprimer at the painter..

Still need to clean up the engineroom and repaint and put that nice engine back in there.. (but i feel to sick and i'm looking forward to it like a horse likes to play chess.. hahaha I like to completely change sayings into something really weird.. did i do well?  🙂  )   (Can you imagine the horse.. looking to make a move with those hooves?? hahaha!)

some pics of the old engine and that same engine after a clean up and all new seals..

sorry for this blurry one..

IMG-20210809-WA0000 (1).jpg

Now the better pic's..

IMG-20220429-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20220429-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20220429-WA0003.jpg

(I thought i had already put up these pics..)

one last one i found some time ago of other times.. this pic (paperrrr!!! ) was made in 1992 when i had my first 280zx t-bar.. in a silver-blue color.. At that time i was one of the volunteer electricians/sound/light engineers at a folklore 10 day festival in our village!  We had some time before the festival opened and a nice car to see the area.  At that time there was a group of dancers from Ukraine and this english teacher came with them!

She was at that time a english teacher at the university of Kiev!  (Picture shot with a Canon AE1, still in my possession!)

IMG-20220207-WA0007.jpg

beautiful isn't it... those horses in the meadow? kidding.. :pow:

Edited by dutchzcarguy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Hey CO.. why the  at mike?    (just curious..)

The @ Mike was because there was a spammer posted something in your thread right above that. I assume that Mike deleted the spammer's post and banned the account, but he left my call-out post intact. So now the call-out doesn't make a lot of sense anymore, but not a big deal.

If it were me, I would have deleted my post as well.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Patcon said:

never liked English classes but that would have helped 😉

Hahaha, yeah..  Now you know why i speak so good english.. kidding.. i had english for 9 years, so i should be able to express my self haha..

She was a tall and pretty girl that i can say! Later on in the 90's i heard that she went to iran or irak.. away from Kiev..  probably merried a rich sheik. 😉 

1 hour ago, dutchzcarguy said:

...like a horse likes to play chess.. hahaha I like to completely change sayings into something really weird.. did i do well?  🙂  )   (Can you imagine the horse.. looking to make a move with those hooves?? hahaha!)

IMG-20220207-WA0007.jpg

beautiful isn't it... those horses in the meadow? 

Restaurant Mazenburg is closed now. Do the Dutch not eat chess playing horses any longer?

:wow:

• Haha 1