IGNORED

Power to injectors

DC871F

Both of my engines have always had a slight imbalance (that's what I call it) at idle.  I've attributed it to the batch fire nature of the EFI system, with the cylinders getting their fuel at different times of the four cycles..  But I've only had two so not much experience.

15 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Both of my engines have always had a slight imbalance (that's what I call it) at idle.  I've attributed it to the batch fire nature of the EFI system, with the cylinders getting their fuel at different times of the four cycles..  But I've only had two so not much experience.

My concern is that on initial startup, it had smooth acceleration, now a slight miss. Its not like an ignition miss, but like a little stumble. I'm afraid it ate something.

Maybe getting it on the road an running it a little harder than I can in the garage it may clear out.

Have you been under the valve cover yet?  Check lash and cam lobe quality.  My first engine had bad valve seals that would seal up if I gave the engine a good romp, but then slowly open up cause a lumpy idle.  So I'd get a good idle if I went out and abused it but then it would get lumpy as it cooled back down.  It was fun for a while since I had a reason to wind it out.

Be careful on the first few drives.  People often lost a rocker arm because the valves have gummed up after sitting for years and get stuck.  Then the rocker arm pops off and sometimes a retainer.  Could be you have a sticky valve right now, who knows.

9 hours ago, DC871F said:

I have had a lot of Oval window Beetles. I have a 56 currently.

I have a 56 in my shop that my Dad bought new in Germany in 56.  I might could use some help with parts when I finally get to restoring her...

3 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Have you been under the valve cover yet?  Check lash and cam lobe quality.  My first engine had bad valve seals that would seal up if I gave the engine a good romp, but then slowly open up cause a lumpy idle.  So I'd get a good idle if I went out and abused it but then it would get lumpy as it cooled back down.  It was fun for a while since I had a reason to wind it out.

Be careful on the first few drives.  People often lost a rocker arm because the valves have gummed up after sitting for years and get stuck.  Then the rocker arm pops off and sometimes a retainer.  Could be you have a sticky valve right now, who knows.

Good idea. I was doing my best not to turn this into a "project", not that lifting the valve cover is a project, but depending on what you find.... I'm restoring a 240Z and I'm knee deep in it, I got the ZX on a whim, but you are right, I probably need to back off a little and really look at it so I dont do any harm.

Whats funny was the amount of smoke produced when I first started it, epic. The neat part is that the rings all seated after coming up to temp and no noise on the top end other than the couple alarming knocks about 3 minutes after start. 

• 4 weeks later...

Car is running smooth, replacing radiator next week, just finishing all new brakes, rotors, calipers and brake hoses, brake master, clutch master, slave. I didnt realize it was going to take such attention. It has completely diverted me away from my 73 240 that I'm doing a full restoration on, but it has been fun, sort of. What doesnt make me insane make me stronger.

Should be on the road to find more easter eggs once I do a road test.

BTW, driver side rear brake calipers are getting hard to find for some reason, nobody had them a couple weeks ago. Had to rebuild mine which ironically was the one that was the most salvageable, hmmm.