IGNORED

Grinding when going into 3rd

TheErictag

13 minutes ago, gnosez said:

Redline M/T or Swepco & ATF is often recommended (the late John Coffey said either was what he used).

As to getting the filler and drain plugs loose, the drain is the easiest with a 1/2-inch breaker bar and a short section of pipe for leverage while the filler plug seems to resist just about anything you throw at it. 

Now filling can be an issue especially if you are under the car pumping away waiting for gear oil to spill out. Instead I fill from the top using just the right amount of gear oil which I measure out before starting.

funnel.jpg

Actually, John Coffey is the one who said Swepco destroyed his synchros.  He only tried it once.  JMortensen is the one who often recommended it.  I've been using it for at least 20,000 miles with no signs of problems.  

Heat is very effective at loosening up whatever sealant Nissan used on those plugs.  A torch or a heat gun.  Makes a huge difference, but can be nervy if things are oily under there.  Heat gun better for that situation.

I used the same filling method except I just moved real fast when I saw fluid leaking from the fill hole, and cleaned up the area and catch pan so that I could re-use the overflow.

Overall, it's on par with the spindle pin replacement in potential problems.  I have a 300ZX front case that had a drain plug that would not budge at all, no matter what.  Probably why I got the tranmsission for $20.

That 3rd gear upshift grind must be more common than I thought. My 72 4 speed did the same thing at about 60K mile mark.

Never did try a different fluid. I installed a 78 5 speed instead. On that I am using Redline MT90 trans oil. Been working very good.

As much as I like and respect Jon, there isn't a 5-gal container of Swepco in my garage because he recommended it but rather because John did and it's what I have been using for over 14 years regardless of Old Rusty's synco failure. I can even tell you what I was doing (cleaning parts) and where I was standing (work bench in my garage) when we had that phone conversation. And yes, my wife who doesn't remember things thinks my ability to do so isn't always helpful in our marriage does uderstand it comes in handy when I'm asked to testify about an investigation that took place years ago.

The 240 street tranny hasn't been rebuilt in 15 years and the race car is now on it's 5th year and it would have been longer if not for a shift into 1st instead of 3rd. So synco issues were not the cause of the rebuild.

But folks should use whatever floats their respective boats.

Edited by gnosez

I found a secondary mention of John Coffey using Swepco, but it was for the diff.  Also found one of the old threads about using it in the transmissions.

Not trying to argue, I just have one of those weird long-term memories also.  Boon and bane.  Plus he responded right after one of my posts so it stuck in my brain.

#14 here -  http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/112152-super-duper-slick-as-snot-trans-fluid/ 

#2 here - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/51945-torsen-lsd/