IGNORED

Incredibly Original 1972 240Z on eBay

lonetreesteve

1 hour ago, George_Zed said:

why I see parts from 1973 Z there? radio, center console, 240z roof pillar emblem, rear door without air vents...

Am I missing something here? I thought these changes were made in 1973 models (built in 1972)

The hatch with vents and the 240Z pillar emblem were phased out during the 1971 model year. The heater control panel looks the same to me as this one: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic08d17/40-3401A. I can't really speak to the radio, but everything else looks like at 72 to me.

This looks like a car that built in late 71 as the door plate indicates, based on my experience. If it is titled as a 73 that could be based on the date of sale and the specific state it was titled in. Not that unusual. Looks pretty much like what I would call a series III car and as we know by now it is difficult to know exactly when these cars had specific changes. To me this is what I expect to see on a 72.

Don's iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

My 72 has a production date or 9/72. It has some of the subtle changes of the 1973. This 71 has a production date of 10/71 and could be titled as a 71 or 72 as I understand the process at the time, or the lack there of. It is obvious in the photos that this is a very original example of the car produced at the change over between 71 and 72 production. Nice find, well bought.  

28 minutes ago, JLPurcell said:

My 72 has a production date or 9/72. It has some of the subtle changes of the 1973. This 71 has a production date of 10/71 and could be titled as a 71 or 72 as I understand the process at the time, or the lack there of. It is obvious in the photos that this is a very original example of the car produced at the change over between 71 and 72 production. Nice find, well bought.  

My 73 has also production date 9/72...vin 124355... and my car has all these changes, that's why I was surprised to see them in a 1971 production car... It seems that these changes applied in 71

Edited by George_Zed
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, George_Zed said:

My 73 has also production date 9/72...vin 124355... and my car has all these changes... It seems that these changes applied after 71

The vin# of my 72 is  HLS30 93606. There is a thread somewhere on this site that speaks to the loose way these cars were titled. Your 9/72 titled as a 73 and my 9/72 being titled as a 72. I am sure that this 71 could have been titled either as a 71 or 72, it just happens to have been titled as a 71. That and other nuances about these cars is part of the history and mystique.  JLP

• Like 1

The subject car is a '72 model year that was built in 10/71. So with that in mind, it's going to have the '72-'73 condole, the Hitachi AM/FM radio, etc. Early '72 models that were built from 9/71 through 12/71 also didn't have the retractable seats belts and the seat belt light/alarm. A lot of these early '72 models also had the vertical defogger lines in the rear hatch glass.

• Like 2

Whew! I'm glad that somebody knows all of this stuff.

I'm picking the car up tomorrow.  Hopefully no drama (it is an EBay purchase after all).  It isn't registered, so I get to spend a fun day down at the DMV in the next week.  I'm just hoping they let me keep the blue plates.

6 hours ago, kstewart said:

Whew! I'm glad that somebody knows all of this stuff.

I'm picking the car up tomorrow.  Hopefully no drama (it is an EBay purchase after all).  It isn't registered, so I get to spend a fun day down at the DMV in the next week.  I'm just hoping they let me keep the blue plates.

Good luck with everything and they should let you keep the blue plates since the car is staying in California. After you get the car home, please give us an update.

Well, she's home.  I'll head to the DMV first thing in the morning to try and get the registration all taken care of.  It was a long day of driving back and forth, but worth it.  

IMG_1410 copy.jpg

The car is a really solid, honest car.  The seller had the undercarriage steam cleaned which is why it photographed so well.  The paint looks to have been polished some, but I don't see any spots where they burned through.  It is definitely a time capsule, and will need some cleanup.  Seller didn't have both plates on hand, said he'd find the other one and mail it to me.  No service history, but i guess you can't have everything.

Turn signal switch not working, not sure if the DMV will test them or not.

I've already found a rare restoration part that I'm hoping to go pick up tomorrow which I'll share once I've secured it.  I guess the protocol would probably be to start a new thread over in the S30 section about build progress.

Edited by kstewart
Mistake
  • Like 3

On 3/1/2017 at 8:18 PM, kstewart said:

Well, she's home.  I'll head to the DMV first thing in the morning to try and get the registration all taken care of.  It was a long day of driving back and forth, but worth it.  

The car is a really solid, honest car.  The seller had the undercarriage steam cleaned which is why it photographed so well.  The paint looks to have been polished some, but I don't see any spots where they burned through.  It is definitely a time capsule, and will need some cleanup.  Seller didn't have both plates on hand, said he'd find the other one and mail it to me.  No service history, but i guess you can't have everything.

Turn signal switch not working, not sure if the DMV will test them or not.

I've already found a rare restoration part that I'm hoping to go pick up tomorrow which I'll share once I've secured it.  I guess the protocol would probably be to start a new thread over in the S30 section about build progress.

Good to hear that you got her home safe and sound!  Thanks for letting us know and for posting the pictures. You're right, your Z is an amazing time capsule! 

By the way, what's the story with the other 240Z at the DMV?