IGNORED

260Z stock-ish

GGRIII

Long time listener, first time caller :)

I figured I should start a thread for the restoration of my 260Z.  I knew the previous owner of this car, the father of Captain Obvious.  I hope he likes what I do with it.  Maybe I should start with pics of the usual rust?

Typical frame and rocker issues, front strut towers, nothing left of the floor.

DSC01598.JPG

DSC01600.JPG

DSC01597.JPG

stripped down.JPG

Here is another.  Both floors were replaced,  Both rockers were replaced, passenger side wheel arch was replaced, drivers side dog leg was replaced.  sourced new doors and fenders.  welded the headlight buckets to the fenders. shaved off the locks.  Added a bucket of cash and viola.  The color is Toyota 5A3 sun fusion. As soon as it warms up a bit I will start to add pieces.  I have some stuff I can post on the refurbishment of some of the parts.  I'll get to that in the next few weeks.  The original motor is going back in but with a 5spd and an R200.  Anybody want a 4spd and an R180?  Like I said, the car will be stock-ish...

20160307_165407.jpg

IMG_20170131_161916427.jpg

IMG_20170131_162025575.jpg

Welcome long time listener!

Amazing you have CO's father's car.  This will be well followed by all of us that know CO, at least I know I'll keep up!

He has the flat tops off that car I believe.  Can't wait to see what you do.:)

Fix it up and sale it to him, you'd profit I'm sure but I don't know the history.  Maybe he wanted to let it go, he has a super nice 280.

I'm working on the fuel system at the moment.  Tank was dented, most likely from fishing "parking spots" but solid.  Rattled some gravel around in the tank to remove chunky stuff then hit it with some gunk dissolving stuff.  Exterior is in POR 15, interior left as is. Fabbing some new SS tank straps.  But the big question...  I am deleting the mechanical fuel pump.  Do I go with a holley red, pressure regulator, and return line OR a 3-4 PSI pump with a built in bypass regulator and dead head it with no return line.  I do not plan to run a vapor line from the expansion tank either way.  Thoughts?

Did you do the work yourself or pay? Curious what that amount of work cost wirh paint?

I loved yellow as a youngster.  Funny as I've gotten older not as much. Don't get me wrong it came out very nice! If I was only young again!

About time you started posting!

The short story here is that I unfortunately had to relinquish ownership of my father's 260Z because I wanted to drive a Z car again before I joined my dad in the hereafter and I wasn't sure I had it in me to go through the amount of time, effort, and expense to finish that project. Thankfully a very long time buddy of mine GGRIII (Gary who some of you met in Toronto) had coveted the car ever since the first day he saw it on a fishing expedition and jumped at the chance to buy it. I'm embellishing a little of course, but the good part is that even the car isn't under my ownership anymore, it's still "in the family" and I still get to have a hand in the reconstruction.

GGRIII thankfully has more resources to work on a project of this magnitude, and I'm thankful that my father's old car has found such a wonderful loving home. I bought my current 77, and Gary bought my 74.

I am honored! My dad is honored! And I can't wait until I get to drive it again!

The car has gone from this running and driving rough example:
1_ironcross_zpsftdqgbeb.jpg

Through this:
P1030515_zps2dtuvfyp.jpg

And this:
P1090549_zpsx4wsuvqg.jpg

To come out the other side as this:
P1100720_zpssdedcxx1.jpg

Not done yet, but this is the fun part!