IGNORED

Looking for a set of Sumitomo calipers MK63

JLPurcell

On 4/15/2017 at 3:19 AM, Jason240z said:

Thats a very 'clean' looking setup there.  Does look great. 

Is the backing plate a part or did you modify the plate to fit the caliper?

Jason, I took a solid set of backing places made a pattern and had a metal shop modify them. I could have simply cut them down, blasted and painted them, but I wanted them to look factory. They cut and welded a lip on them for strength and to maintain the factory look. I then blasted them to prepare them for the black finish. 

IMG_0136.JPG

Edited by JLPurcell
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kats said:

Here is a MK63 fitted on PS30-100006, the 3rd from the last Z432.I do not know it is vented or not, just for your reference.

Kats

IMG_1996.JPG

Kats, thanks! I am at the lake this weekend doing some maintenance on the cabin. Can't wait to get back on the project when I get home. This will be helpful. I will post more pictures once I get more complete. I am also excited to see the car's stance with the Eibach progressive springs installed. Thanks again for all of your support on this project.B)

I'd imagine a scribe and a pair of tin snips (used skillfully) could create that cut out. At least I'll give it a go if I ever source a pair of MK63 calipers. Brake backing plates are thankfully not uncommon to find.

Once the NOS MK63 calipers were dry fitted I removed them and rebuilt them. When I disassembled them I found that the old assembly oil had gummed up in them. Cleaned and rebuilt them. I have now completed the suspension project, new progressive Eibach springs, rear sway bar, NOS emergency brake cable, and MK63 upgrade. I am waiting for the front brake lines and rear sway bar link so I can put it back down on the ground and re-fit the front sheet metal. Progress! I did find time tonight to wipe the bottom down and wax the drive shaft.IMG_0201 (1).JPG

IMG_1826 (1).JPG

IMG_1827 (1).JPG

IMG_1822 (1).JPG

IMG_0190 (1).JPG

IMG_0189 (1).JPG

IMG_0188 (1).JPG

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

9 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Seriously... You can say that with a straight face?

If I told my wife I'm headed out to the garage to wax my drive shaft, I'm not sure she'd be home when I came back in.  ROFL

;)Where this is going is Obvious Captain!ROFLMaybe a little time in the garage to bore and stroke my engine? 

Lol!   LOL

Seriously though, the work looks great. One question I meant to ask a long time ago and never did though... Could you have separated the two halves of the calipers for the vented rotors and milled off some material from the mating faces to bring the two halves closer together? Like close enough to use them on a solid non-vented rotor instead of the vented variety? I know it's water over the dam at this point, but I just kept forgetting to ask.

8 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

One question I meant to ask a long time ago and never did though... Could you have separated the two halves of the calipers for the vented rotors and milled off some material from the mating faces to bring the two halves closer together? Like close enough to use them on a solid non-vented rotor instead of the vented variety? I know it's water over the dam at this point, but I just kept forgetting to ask.

Apart from "why would you...?" (you'd be better off buying the cheaper non-vented type in the first place) there's a potential problem in that the fluid passage drillings in each half are at such an angle that they won't necessarily line up again if you start milling material off the mating surfaces.