IGNORED

New Fujitsubo Exhaust System to be Released

20 minutes ago, duffymahoney said:

I am trying to get my series 1 ready for a local car show.  The only thing left really is exhaust.  Sadly my stock is shot, so I can't use that.  

FYI the Spirit Garage system I ordered on March 30th is being delivered to my office today...it would have been here about a week ago but FedEx, well whatever...RHDJapan shipped it in about 3 days which I was really surprised about, and it was in Oakland, CA about 3 days after that.

2 minutes ago, ollie said:

FYI the Spirit Garage system I ordered on March 30th is being delivered to my office today...it would have been here about a week ago but FedEx, well whatever...RHDJapan shipped it in about 3 days which I was really surprised about, and it was in Oakland, CA about 3 days after that.

I asked whitehead about spirit garage, I would love to see pictures when yours gets in.  It's my favorite exhaust routing design, but I don't like the clamp system much. 

4 minutes ago, duffymahoney said:

I asked whitehead about spirit garage, I would love to see pictures when yours gets in.  It's my favorite exhaust routing design, but I don't like the clamp system much. 

Sure...I have the never ending joy of fitting the new kit with 12" of space in my garage but I will do what I can to share some pics and the installation experience.  I managed to pull down the existing exhaust and the Stahl header this weekend without too much pain.  As for the 2 clamps, I think they use clamps post center section so you have some wiggle room around things like diffs.  I am really, really hoping this system does indeed tuck up nicely into the transmission tunnel as the Vibrant Performance one I was using didn't and would hang up...it clearly caused a crack in the weld at the header / collector joint.  Fingers crossed and ya I know, hope is not a strategy but its the best one I have!

20 hours ago, Sean Dezart said:

Thanks Alan - the scans are low resolution though so I can't make out the L28 references.

Looks to me that some of the primary pipes have been lengthened to equalise better the length differences, obviously the resonator has been seperated into two (most probably there was gas flow and velocity interference creating multiple influences on engine performance) and the rear end has been divided into very probably for the cheaper packaging mentioned earlier (shorter parts make for smaller boxes).

What's interesting is that around the diff the twin pipes are almost at 90° whereas before they were angled closer to 45 and those elbows haven't adversely afected performance.

Some intelligent mods.

Jeremy is running a Fujitsubo header on his L35.;)

What I meant by the word "packaging" in my previous post was how the exhaust packages on the car (not in a box for shipping) as the prime reason for going twin pipes instead of a larger single.

Edited by LeonV
clarity
  • Haha 1

FYI Fedex finally got out of their own way and I unboxed the SG system.  It is a work of art and super well built, at first glance.  It will be a few days before I can install it as I await intake / exhaust gaskets from Nissan / Courtesy but soon as it arrives I am going to install it.  

I think this will fit around the R200 no problems plus with the slip fit strategy around the rear section you will have some room to work with.  I'm super stoked with the system so far, plus the header flange is the correct size, imagine that :) 

2 hours ago, Sean Dezart said:

So, how does the twin pipe system 'package' better on the car than a single pipe ?

Like I said previously, twin 2.5" pipes have the same cross-sectional area as a single 3.5" pipe. You can route and tuck up the 2.5" pipes closer to the body than the 3.5". There's really no other reason to split the pipes in two all the way to the back of the car, other than sound.

Edited by LeonV

I beg to differ : twin pipes will perform differently (regardless of cross-sectional areas) compared to a single pipe - I thought that we had discussed and agreed upon that and why Nissan offered it as stock on S20 engined S30s (and Skylines) and as an option on other S30s.

The SG header flange is exactly the same as the intake manifold, no need for any machine work or stepped washers.  I'm really impressed with the design and build quality and as soon as the manifold gasket arrives (I ordered 2 as I am positive I will wreck one along the way) I will get this onto the car.